Chapter Sixty-One

We all put on the chest protectors, with the sensors, and went to our designated spot. Mr.Lee walked over to the bleachers and pulled out his laptop, no doubt so he could keep track of our points. 

A loud blaring noise sounded from the speakers around the gym, signifying that the match started. 

I saw a boy out of the corner of my eye. I twisted my hand back and blasted fire right at his chest protector. He fell back, hitting the ground. 

I sensed three people coming at me at different directions.

I sighed, "Teaming up against me was smart," I sent a strategic arc of fire around me hitting all three of them, "But, not smart enough," I smiled, "Nice try, though." 

"This isn't fair," one of them whined, "She's famous for being one of the best."

"I can't wait to tell my mom that the Bibender beat me."

It was good to not get underestimated anymore. But that last comment was kind of creepy. 

I heard someone running from behind me. I ducked and swung my right leg backward, hitting the other person's leg. They fell and I blasted their chest. 

"Geez, (Y/N)," I heard Zuko walking up to me, "At least let them think they can win."

"No," I blasted Zuko, but he countered, protecting his chest. 

"I'm not like them. We both taught the Avatar, remember?" He said. 

"How could I forget?" I dodged a blast from Zuko, "That was when I actually liked you."

"Ouch," Zuko blasted me again, I dodged it.

I blasted myself into the air with fire and lunged at Zuko. He barely ducked and I nearly hit the floor. I balanced myself before turning around to meet Zuko. 

"That was close," Zuko breathed. 

"Yeah," I was behind him in seconds, "How's this?"

I moved to hit his chest, but Zuko caught on, grabbing my hand. He twisted my wrist and turned around to face me. 

"Not enough, (Y/N)," Zuko chided.

I brought my wrist down, shaking him off, I kicked his knee cap, causing him to double over. 

"Maybe that wasn't enough," I said preparing to blast while Zuko was down, "But this will-"

I was cut off by the sound of someone running. Another boy from the class was trying to blast us. I brought my elbow back, hitting the guy in the face. He clutched his nose and fell to the ground. 

I blasted his chest, "Listen man, I was kind of in the middle of something."

"This isn't a one on one fight," He whined. 

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes.

I turned back to Zuko who had recovered. Well, shit.

Zuko grinned, "That was a close one."

"I would have gotten you," I said. 

"But," he lunged, "You didn't."

I noticed a slight irregularity in his step. His ankle was positioned oddly, and it would only take a small hit to his leg to knock him down. I grinned and blasted a concentrated dagger of fire at his leg, causing him to fall.

"Checkmate," I blasted his chest.

***

One hour later, and no one had managed to blast my chest. Some people got blasted plenty of times. Zuko? Only the one. Of course, I was the only person in the class to match his level, so I'm not surprised.