Chapter Seventy-Two

Zuko and I stood in front of the mental asylum. He looked conflicted. I took his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. He turned his head towards me and smiled. 

   "Hey," I said, "Don't worry. I got Ty Lee and Suki at the palace for back up. And Azula's in a straight jacket. Nothing will go wrong. It'll be fine."

Zuko nodded. 

This was it for him. This was his chance at closure. I had gotten closure on my mother, I met her side of the family, I live with her niece. I had gotten my closure. Now, it was Zuko's turn. He needed this. 

Zuko took a breath and we headed into the asylum. 

A few doctors led into a room. We sat there in silence for a moment before Azula was wheeled into the room. 

Zuko glanced at me. I nodded. 

Zuko turned back to Azula, "I... I need to know what happened to our mother. I've had conversation over conversation with Ozai and it's gone nowhere. He refuses to reveal what happened to her. So I've come to an uncomfortable conclusion. You are the only person in the world who can coax the information I need out of Ozai. Tell me, then... what do you want in return for helping me find mother?"

   Azula smiled, "Don't be silly, Zuzu! The satisfaction of serving the Fire Lord in some way will be compensation enough! Besides, not a day has gone by since you put me in here that I haven't wondered," her eyes grew wild, "What exactly happened to our dear mother?"

Something about her expression didn't sit right with me. In fact, it terrified me. I shot Zuko an uneasy look, but he didn't seem to notice. 

❊❊❊

Zuko, Suki, Ty Lee, and I peered through the cell's window- looking at Azula and Ozai. They just... sat there, staring at each other. 

Zuko held a tray of tea. 

   "So," I said, "How's the whole bring all the nations together thing going?"

   "Aang and I are working on a prototype for a new city, uniting the four nations," Zuko said. 

Ty Lee smiled, "That sounds exciting!"

   "It sounds idealistic," Zuko looked back at his family members, "Though... I guess we do need some idealism," Zuko sighed in frustration, "They still haven't said anything?"

   "No," Suki replied. 

Zuko opened the door, walking inside the cell with the tray of tea.

   I laughed, "Do you really think tea is the best way to treat your prisoners, Fire Lord?"

   "They're still my family."

   "Point taken," I shrugged. 

Azula glared at Zuko and grabbed the tray of tea with her teeth, knocking Zuko to the floor. 

I raised my hands and blood bent her head down, "What the fuck, Azula?!"

   "How did you expect me to drink tea while wearing a straight jacket, Zuzu?! Did you want to watch me lap at it like some kind of animal?!" Azula screeched. 

   "No-" Zuko started to say, but Suki and Ty Lee burst into the room. 

Ty Lee glanced at Zuko, then at Azula and chi blocked her in seconds. Azula fell out of her wheelchair to the ground, unable to move her limbs in the slightest. 

   "She was already restrained! And (Y/N) was bloodbending her! You didn't need to chi block her."

   "You never know with Azula," I said to Zuko, "Ty Lee was right to do that."