Chapter Thirteen

Banishment. 

I expected this outcome, no way could a 16-year-old beat the Fire Lord. 

But I didn't expect the Fire Lord, his father, to harm him in such a way. 

Zuko and I were in his room. Iroh was getting more clothes and last-minute preparations for our ship.

I was trying to heal the burn on his eye. I brought a hand coated in water to his face and he flinched. 

The burn was too deep. I couldn't do anything but help with his pain. He was going to have a permanent scar. 

"Zuko I-I'm so sorry, I can't fix this."

He didn't say anything.

I grabbed a bandage and placed it on his eye. He flinched again. I secured the bandage around his head. 

"Zuko. I-"

"It's not your fault, (Y/N)," he gave me a weak smile.

But his expression was different. There was something inherently wrong with him, something that went beyond just his scar.

"Yes, it is. I never should have let you defend me."

"It was my choice. Now all that's left is restoring my honor."

There was something wrong with his tone of voice. 

I simply nodded. We sat in awkward silence until we heard a knock at the door. The door opened to reveal Iroh. 

"Are you guys ready? (Y/N) I had your closet cleared out, your clothes are in the closet of your room on the ship. Same with you, Prince Zuko. (Y/N), your laptop, chargers, everything is already on the ship- I assume you already have your phone?"

I held up my phone and nodded. 

Zuko didn't say anything. 

"Well," Iroh said, "let's go."

***

I settled into my room nicely. This was a rich family. My room on the ship had a huge window letting me look out into the sea, the window of course was designed so that I could look out, but no one could look in. 

My closet was essentially the same, all of my clothes were there. I laid back in my bed and closed my eyes. 

Zuko's face flashed in my mind. 

There was something off about him. 

Our first stops were going to be the four great Air Cities. 

I had never been. 

Well, let's be real- no one has ever been.

At the center of each city are temples- the Air People were known to be religious. Supposedly the Avatar was to study at one of these temples. 

We would be starting at the Western Air City- home to the Western Air Temple.

We would probably be there in a week.

During that week, I barely ever left my room. I had one of the ship's crew bring me food when I needed. I had my computer, I had my phone. I didn't need anything else. I couldn't see Zuko right now. 

If he needed me- he knew where I was.

Zuko never came.

Eventually the week had passed and Iroh knocked on my door, "(Y/N)? We're here."

"Yipee."

***

What the hell.

This city- it was a ghost town.