12- Little Changes

"Family is where life begins and love never ends."

-Unknown

***

I had to call my mom that day.

But I was so distraught I couldn't even process her words.

"Hi mom." I mumbled, shuffling around my room to find my Spider Man hoodie.

"Hi honey!" My mothers voice came through, she sounded excited at least. "How are you doing?"

"Great, I love it here." I responded, trying to sound enthusiastic. I knew I sounded distracted, because I was. I was looking for Theo, who I was sure I stored on my bed. He is my emotional support animal.

I hugged the bear to my chest, my emotions swirling in my stomach and making me nauseous. I inhaled the scent on my bear.

"I am so glad." Mom chirped, although she didn't sound all that glad. "Phil misses having someone to throw the ball around with."

I rolled my eyes. Phil is an asshole. He thinks that he is so much better then me because he plays minor-league. He hated me too. Thought I was a waste of time because I got more baseball-attention then he did.

"Yeah."

"So... how's school? You make any new friends?"

Yes. A whole family, plus this one boy who is making me question my whole life, along with everything I have ever learned about mythology.

"Um... yeah. I am pretty close with this one family. I think you would like Alice." I picked the first name that popped into my mind. "She's really sweet."

"I am happy to hear that you are adjusting."

"Thanks, mom. How are things at home?"

I only threw the one question in so I didn't seem rude or disinterested. I just want to shower and go to sleep now. Jasper's reaction at lunch has been stuck in my mind all day. What did he mean by 'you're strong?' That makes no sense.

After I had a longer-then-I-would have-appreciated conversation with my mom, I grabbed my stuff and practically ran to the bathroom, letting my thoughts wander as I stood under the burning water.

***

he next morning, I woke up with my blanket curled into my arms and my pillows by my feet. I had nightmares last night, although I don't remember them.

The morning was relaxed, I made eggs for my twin and I, and Bella drove to school today. The weather was dreary, as per usual, and Bella had a speech rehearsed for me once we got in the car.

"Look Courtney." She began, her voice nervous and shaky. "I know you have this feud going on with Jessica, but I want my friends and my twin to get along! I mean, you like Angela, Mike seems to think your cool. I doubt you have ever spoken to Tyler before, and Eric, well... he's Eric! You should give it a shot."

I paused. I don't want to sit with Bella's "squad", but I am not really feeling sitting with the Cullen's today. I am rather mad at Jasper for his dramatic exit. Plus, I am too tired to fight with Jessica today. I had to return that book to Angela too.

"Fine." I muttered, "please make sure they behave." I eyed Eric and Jessica, who were leaned against the side of the building. "I promise I will."