13- Waves

"Life is like the ocean, it goes up and down."

-Vanessa Paradis

***

"You told him your theory about radioactive spiders?"

Bella looked up at me innocently. "Yes?"

I groaned, covering my face with my hands. "Why on Earth would you do that?"

My twin and I were sitting on our porch, waiting for Bella's friends to come pick us up, when Bella made an off-hand comment about mentioning to Edward her theory that he had been bitten by a radioactive spider.

"You said that my vampire thing was dumb, then you go along and ask him if he was Spider-Man?"

"That's not the point!" Bella defended, her cheeks red. "He told me to stay away from him."

"Probably because he thought your dumbness was contagious!"

"Courtney!" Bella scolded, her face set in a scowl. "Be serious."

"Okay, okay." I held my hands up in surrender. "I just don't understand why he would warn you. Not to come off as rude or anything, but I have been around him more. It doesn't make sense."

The rumble of an engine filled my ears as Mike's van pulled up in our driveway. He waved at us from the drivers seat, Angela next to him, as we picked up our bags and walked over.

"That's what I thought."

Our conversation was forced to end as we crawled into the car, I was squished rather uncomfortably between Bella and Jessica, who did not seem happy that I was there.

All I wanted right now is to figure out what's up with the Cullen's.

***

"You ready?"

I stood up, staring at the dark waves, and shivered just thinking about going in them. My bathing suit doesn't provide the most warmth.

"Fine." I pulled my hair out of it's ponytail, and gave Tyler a grin. "I think I might freeze to death though."

"Don't worry." Tyler shrugged. "Just dive right it."

"That is terrible advice."

I saluted Bella and Angela, who were bundled up in the back of the van, and Bella flashed me a thumbs up. "Good luck." She called as I turned away. "You are so much braver then me!"

I laughed at my sister as Tyler and I stood at the edge of the water. "Okay." I mumbled. "You go out first, and then I'll steal your board from you."

He chuckled. "Okay."

I watched as he gracefully dove into the water, and then his head broke the surface, already grinning. He shook his hair out like a dog, and gestured for me to come in. "Come on! It's not that bad!" He insisted, and I braced myself. I ran into the water, taking a deep breath as I went under. It was freezing. My body went sort of numb, and tingling, and when my head broke the surface, my teeth were chattering.

"Y-You l--l-lied t-to m-me." I accused, grabbing onto the edge of the board so my feet hung in the water. "T-that w-was m-mean."

Tyler laughed at my expression, moving so only his feet her dangling in the water. "Come on." He teased, "It's not that cold."