39- Overprotective

"Fall in love with someone who makes you glad to be different."

-Sue Zhaq

***

We approached the bonfire, me huddled next to Paul in an effort to maintain some body heat.

"You're gonna meet Seth, and Leah..." He paused, "I hope you like energetic kids."

"I deal with you do I not."

"Ha, ha-"

"Hi Paul!"

Seth Clearwater, or, that's who I assumed, bounded over to Paul and I, grinning widely at me. He was shorter, but I knew he would grow quickly, and adorable with his russet skin and dark hair. "You must be Courtney, Hi!"

"Oh, um, Hi!" I smiled, shaking his hand rather aggressively.

"I've heard so much about you! You're one of the Vampire girls! I'm Seth, the newest member of the pack."

"Actually, she's the newest member of the pack."

"Aw come on!"

I chuckled at the pair as they play-fought, Paul trapping Seth in a headlock until he smacked his arm and told him to knock it off.

"Come on, Seth! I was rooting for you!"

"I know, he caught me off-guard."

I burst out in laughter at the sight of this adorable, scrawny kid next to Paul. Paul rolled his eyes. "Court, Jared is coming up behind you, be aware."

"You bitch!"

I turned around, grinning at Jared, who had his arm around a girl. She was short, and really pretty with short, pin-straight brown hair, and big blue eyes with freckles dotted around her nose. She was naturally beautiful, in a less-obvious way then what you see nowadays. I was sure she was sizing me up as well, and I internally laughed at the idea of what she would say.

This Vampire chick looks like she is going to die of hypothermia at any second. She has this weird, choppy short hair that looks like some drunk dude cut it. Oh wait-

She also smiles a lot, in a way that makes you think she is gonna stab you or something. Ohh, didn't she crash that truck last year? And hang out with all the sketchy super-attractive pale guys. Wait, why is Jared acting like she smells like shit? And why is that hoodie so big?

Oh Kim...

"Hi." I stuck out my hand, and she shook it, a smile gracing her face. "Hey, it's nice to meet you, Courtney."

"You too, Jared speaks highly of you."

"Yeah he speaks highly of you too..."

We both giggled, and Jared rolled his eyes. "You guys are so mean."

"I know."

"So, what's the situation here?" Kim asked, gesturing to me as stuck my hands in my pockets, my teeth chattering. "Like, are you with Paul?"

"Oh, no-" I chuckled lightly, "We're just friends, I'm with Jasper Hale, the-"

"Bloodsucker."

"Hey, be nice." I reached over to lightly smack Jared's arm. "This is hard for me too, wherever I go I smell bad! You can't win!"

"She's right, that sweater smells like a low-budget candy shop that doesn't actually smell like candy, just like bad stuff."

"Shut up!" I scolded Embry, who had popped up from seemingly nowhere. "It smell's like cinnamon and happiness."

"They're hear!" Seth announced, pointing to where Bella and Jake appeared. "Let's go!"

***

"The Quilete's have been a small tribe since the beginning, but we have always had magic in our blood."

I leaned my head on Jake's shoulder, an action so familiar to both of us, despite having not done it for a while. Billy spoke, his deep voice cutting into the night and making me widen my eyes in interest.

"We were great spirit warriors, shape shifters, That transformed into the powerful wolf. That enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect the tribe. One day, the warriors came across a creature, it looked like a man, but was hard as stone, and cold as ice."

Many eyes drifted to me and Bella, so I kept my gaze trained on the fire, Jake's warm arm wrapped around my shoulders.

"Our warriors sharp teeth finally tore it apart. But only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear that the Cold One was not alone, and they were right."

It felt wrong sitting here, listening to the tribe speak of the terrible things vampires have done, while I am wearing the hoodie of one.

"She took her vengeance out on the village, Our elder chief, Taha-Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to defend the tribe after his son died." He fingered a small bag around his neck. I winced deeply. Mates, one dies, the other always gets revenge.

Always.

"Taha Aki's third wife could tell that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being, no special powers but one. Courage."

And blood.

"The third-wife's sacrifice was enough for Taha Aki to destroy the cold woman. She saved the tribe, over-time our enemies have disappeared, except for one."

I caught Bella's eye, we both knew where this was going.

"The Cold Ones."

Okay, now they were all one hundred percent staring at either my twin or I. I chose to ignore, staring into the fire and taking deep breaths.

"Our magic reawakens when they are near. And we sense it now. We feel the threat coming in our blood, and we must be ready... All of us."

The air went still. I knew what this meant. Victoria, we need to kill her, before she could kill anymore people. We have to find Sadie, and break her out of whatever is going on with her. I don't exactly know if Sadie is even alive, or savable. That's what I dread. Is my best friend just a mind-controlled killing machine? How could I help her? How could I figure out what's going on?

Without getting myself killed in the process. 

A/N: Hi guys! I have a little self-advertisement! I have just posted my Carl Grimes story, How Far We Fall!!!! I am super excited about it, so if you like The Walking Dead, be sure to check it out! 

Thank you, and I love you all!