29- Attack

"The best protection a woman can have is courage

"The best protection a woman can have is courage."

-Elizabeth Cady Stanton

***

When we were in seventh grade, Bella was picked on a lot. Normal, stupid things that kids can see, but adults can not. One time, this boy called Bella fat and ugly, so I punched him in the face and broke his nose. I was mad then, the maddest I thought I have ever been... obviously I was wrong.

I was still fuming the next day when Bella dragged me out of bed to hike with her. The clouds were casting a grey shadow over the trees, and I kept smacking said trees with a branch I found. In all truth, I was only here because of the wolf rumors going around, and when Bella is alone she tends to get severely injured.

"Almost there." She assured, seeing the agitated look on my face. I winced as a tree branch sprung back and smacked me in the face. Spitting out a leaf, I followed my sister into a wide clearing.

"Wow dead grass, glad I came along for this." I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms. Bella made a strangled sound in her throat, and I turned to see her kneeling on the ground. My eyes widened as I knelt next to her. "Hey, hey it's okay. What's wrong?"

She sounded like she wanted to cry, but no tears came out of her eyes. "It's gone."

"Um, yeah, I know, I'm so sorry, Bells."

Here's the thing, I don't know what the hell I'm apologizing for. Bella just walked into an open field and then started crying. Like, sure, global warming is depressing, but that doesn't make me any less confused.

"Court-" Bella's eyes lifted and her face considerably paled. I frowned, looking over my shoulder and feeling my blood run cold. It was Laurent. The vampire from our whole baseball fiasco last year. Jame's... friend.

We both rose from the ground, and I tried to think of ways I could communicate with Bella to not talk without him hearing us. "The Swans." I could hear his voice loud and clear even from across the clearing. In a heartbeat, he was only a meter away from us. "Courtney and Bella."

All of the air seemed to be sucked from my lungs. He had red eyes. The eyes of a vampire that drinks human blood.

The eyes of a killer.

(Me less then twelve hours ago.)

"Laurent." I spoke, trying to keep my voice as even as possible. He could hear my heartbeat, I am sure it would be impossible to lie to him, but I am going to try. If anyone can lie so much they can fool someone who can hear their heartbeat, it's Courtney Swan.

"I went to visit the Cullen's but found their house empty... I am surprised they left you two behind, weren't you some kind of... pet of theirs?"

"You could say that." I narrowed my eyes, my heart pinging when I realized that is exactly what I was. A pet. Nothing more.

"Do the Cullen's visit often?" Laurent asked, his eyes seeming to bare holes in my soul. This is it, this is where I have to lie. I took a deep breath to try and steady my nerves.

"Oh yeah," I chuckled softly, "They visit all the time. I'll be sure to tell them you stopped by, well-" I traded a look that I hoped could pass as amused with Bella. "Maybe not Edward... or Jasper, they can be pretty protective."

Maybe it was the way my voice caught when I said his name, or the way it faltered on protective. But Laurent seemed to lighten up. "But they are far away."

"No, not really..." I paused, trying to sound nonchalant. "Why are you here?"

"I came as a favor to Victoria."

My breath hitched in my throat. Victoria. The vampire-cat lady who wanted to kill us. Her mate was James, the one that made me stab myself and Bella break her leg. The one that gave Sadie a concussion and threatened to kill our mother.

Oh no...

"V-Victoria?"

"She asked me to see if you were still under the protection of the Cullen's... she believes it is only fair to kill Edward's mate since he killed hers, of course, Courtney, you are just a bonus. I heard of the way you fought with James... that is something no mortal can do."

"It's called adrenaline, asshole." I snapped, loosing my whole lying speech. "And you are out of your mind if you think that I won't do it again."

"Edward will know it was you!" Bella jumped in, her eyes shining with determination. "He'll know it was you and he'll kill you!"

"I don't think he will... I mean how much should he care about you to leave you here unprotected?"

"Alice will see." I piped up. "Alice will know."

Laurent sighed, "Oh, Alice won't speak up. You don't tell someone you love a fact you know will break them. I admit, Victoria will be upset at my killing you, but I can't help it, you're just so mouthwatering."

"Please don't." Bella begged. "You helped us."

"Oh shh-" James was right in front of her now, and I tensed dramatically, ready to bust out some heavy kung-fu if this goes downhill. "Don't be afraid, I am doing you a kindness. Victoria planned on killing you slowly, painfully. Whereas I plan to make it quick, you won't feel a thing."

"I'm sorry." I raised my hand slightly. "But I have a yoga class tonight that I really can't miss, so can we reschedule this whole killing thing? Does next Saturday work for you?"

Laurent brushed past Bella until he was right in front of me. I could feel his breath on my face, and I refused to back down. "I know who you are, Courtney Swan." He began, "You were closer to the Cullen's then anyone. A family to you, and now they are gone. I know they won't come for me about killing you, because they simply don't care enough to make the effort. Now, let's begin."

I was about to succumb, but a twig snapping made both of us whip our heads in the direction. Laurent lost his grip on me as he began to back away, muttering things under his breath that I couldn't make out. I gasped in astonishment.

It was wolves.

Huge, wolves.

They growled, pouncing at Laurent and sending him running into the forest. I swear I caught the eye of one silver one, before Bella grabbed my arm and roughly yanked me away. Away from the clearing. Away from Laurent.

Away from the wolves.