18- Stranger

"Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family."

-Unknown

***

I felt my entire posture turn rigid as three figures stood in front of us.

You're wearing Jasper's sweater. I tried to remind myself, Bella has Edwards hat.

"I believe this belongs to you."

I tried to copy Rosalie's stance as the ruby red eyes of one of the Vampires fixated on me. I leaned my weight to one hip, and jutted my chin out as if everyone else was below me. The one who spoke was easily the most attractive out of all of them, he had dark dreadlocks that fell past his shoulders, and blood red eyes. The eyes of a vampire that drinks human blood.

"Thank you." Carlisle spoke, catching the ball that the other man threw.

"I am Laurent." His head flicked over to his side, a woman stood there, with dark red hair that fell down her back in luscious streaks. Something about her graceful posture reminded me of a cat, and I felt her eyes flick to me suspiciously, before turning back to Carlisle. "This is Victoria." He turned to the final man, a blond who didn't have any super noticeable features. Other then the eyes.

"I am Carlisle, and this is my family. Emmett, Edward, Alice, Rosalie, Jasper, Esme, Courtney, and Bella."

I felt my heartbeat quicken, and I immediately felt a rush of calm settle over me. It was definitely Jasper, he didn't want them to hear the anxious pattering of my heart.

"I am afraid your hunting activities have caused somewhat of a mess for us."

The animal attacks.

"Our apologizes." Laurent said, sincerity evident in his tone. "We didn't realize the area has been claimed."

"We maintain a permanent residence nearby."

This seemed to surprise the newcomers. "We won't be a problem now, we were just passing through." Edward had maintained eye contact with James, and both refused to look down. My eyes are brown, not gold. Not gold at all.

"The humans were tracking us, but we lead them East, you should be safe." Victoria spoke, and I swear I heard a purr in her voice when she did. I wasn't the only one who made that analysis, Carlisle scoffed quietly. "Thank you."

I didn't like the way she said 'the humans.' Like humans were just an annoying fly she managed to swat. Or a delicious snack.

"So... could you use three more players?"

I am sure my face paled considerably, which, considering the circumstances, was a good sign. There so many things about me that are so purely human, it is just the worst. Looking human when you could potentially be mauled by a bunch of evil Vampires.

"Come on, just one game!" He pressed when nobody responded. I felt my lip quiver in anxiety. I wish I had brought my knife with me, even if it wouldn't do any good.

"Sure, why not? A few of us were leaving, but you could take their place."

I made eye-contact with Bella, and tried for a reassuring nod. It will be okay.

I'll make it okay.

As I could breath easily again, as soon as I thought everything would be okay, it fell apart. All it took was a gust of wind to blow from behind us, jostling my hair so that it blew in front of my face.

"You brought snacks."

Everybody seemed to move at the same time. I reached for Bella's arm at the same moment Jasper and Edward backed up, pushing us behind them. The entire Cullen family changed in an instant, crouching near the ground and snarling. I didn't speak. I couldn't have if I wanted too. I just held on to Bella's sweaty hand with everything I had.

"The girls are with us." Carlisle's voice had a newfound edge to it, and his stance was crouched and stiff. "I think it's best if you go."

"I can see the game is over, we will go now." Laurent conceded, bowing his head and beginning to back away. Neither of his comrades, however, moved.

"James." Laurent snapped, giving the blond Vampire a similar look I have received from the teachers many times. The man waltzed over to Victoria, but not before giving me a long, hard look.

I was floored. I couldn't find my voice. I saw it in his eyes. I saw something in his eyes that I have never seen before. He wanted to kill me. He looked like I was the most delicious thing I could think of. He wanted to run over to me right now and drink every ounce of blood I have in my body, until I am a dull, lifeless blob.

The only reason he didn't was because I was surrounded by the Cullen's. A group of able Vampires, who have grown to be my family over the years. James wanted to kill me. He wanted to kill Bella, but something in the way he looked at me, I just knew. I knew that he wouldn't stop until he tasted my blood, I knew he wouldn't rest until I was dead. Until either Bella, or I was dead.

The Cullen's think they can protect us... but we can't be protected forever. I think, deep down, we all know that. We all know that one of the Swan twins weren't going to make it out alive.

And it was going to be me.

Edward cast me an alarmed glance, and I realized that in my panicked frenzy, I forgot he could read my mind. He was about to open his mouth, to say something, but Carlisle cut him off.

"Get the girls out of here." He paused, his usually calm, golden eyes filled with worry. My eyes met Jasper's for no more then a second, and I saw the look on his face I would never have expected to see. He looked terrified. Terrified for me. For my life. Not my sisters.

"Now."

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter! I know it wasn't that good, I just really needed to get one out before the big events take place! And thank you all so much for 1.2k reads! That is so crazy! Thanks for reading!