46- Damnification

"All that it takes is a little reinvention

"All that it takes is a little reinvention."

-Mike Faist, Dear Evan Hansen

***

I was scared.

Scared of whatever came over me in the forest. Scared of what Jane might've said or done after she knocked me out. I was sacred of myself. Because I have never done anything like that before. I am supposed to be fearless, I'm supposed to be the one who sacrifices herself so her sister can live a life she was willing to throw away anyway...

So why do I feel so useless?

It has been three days since the fight, and although Carlisle stitched up my head, I had bruising all around my neck, and it seemed like whenever Jasper saw me, it just brought him right back to what happened.

Speaking of Jasper...

"Hey." he smiled softly, leaning against the door frame. "Can I come in?"

"It's your room." I grumbled from my spot on the floor. Jasper nodded, soundlessly crossing the room and sitting down next to me. I continued to stare holes into the carpeted floor, tears in my eyes, even if I don't know where they came from.

"You know you're safe with me?"

I nodded once. I know, I just don't know if he's safe with me.

"They want me to give up my life." The simple sentence made my words break and tears begin to flow down my face. "I don't know what to do."

Jasper soundlessly wrapped an arm around my shoulder, I buried my face in his chest, soundless sobs coursing through my body.

"I don't know what to do either."

I lifted my head just high enough so I could see his face, "what?'

"No part of me wants to prevent you from living your life. But no part of me wants you to go."

I sighed deeply, my breath quivering and my neck sore. That is exactly how I feel. I leaned my head back against his chest and closed my eyes. "I am going to turn." I spoke, not knowing where it came from, but knowing that it was the truth. "But I am going to do a year of college first. I want to go to Hawaii and get sunburned because you can't do that when you're a vampire. I want to scuba dive, or sky-dive, and just feel the rush of adrenaline you get when you know something is dangerous... I want to live..." I paused, "I want to be a kid."

"Like that song."

I perked up my head, not entirely sure where he was coming from. "What song?"

"From the musical." Jasper smiled softly. "So, can we be seventeen-"

I chuckled, "is that so hard to do?"