64- Very Close

"Some day, I will be strong enough, to lift not one, but both of us

"Some day, I will be strong enough, to lift not one, but both of us." 

-B.o.B, Taylor Swift, Both of Us

***

Fighting. 

 Defined as the action of fighting; violence or conflict... I was so prepared for that. To fight, you know? To punch the blonde thirteen year old who choked me right in the throat. That was what I was ready to do, so I inhaled and exhaled, my hand clamped around Jasper's tightly. 

 We were all silent in the clearing as we awaited the Volturi. I felt another hand grip mine suddenly, and I turned to see Clara staring straight ahead, the icy wind blowing through her hair as she held onto my hand. 

 I squeezed hers once, and turned back to staring directly at the hazy fog that was swallowing the field. The air stung my nose, but I kept my deep breathing, in hopes that it would keep me somewhat calm. 

 Calm. 

 Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions... ha, maybe on the outside. On the inside, I am freaking out. I feel like I am going to physically explode. My nerves are so high that I feel like I am on drugs. I feel like I could cartwheel around this entire field in a split second.... I just wanted these stupid vampires to show up so I can just relax. 

 "What the hell is taking them so long?" I finally couldn't take it anymore, and Carlisle didn't even look back at me before he spoke. 

 "They're here." 

 Almost as if the Volturi wanted to prove his point, the fog in the air seemed to thicken, but I could feel my nerves stand on end. "Redcoats are coming, redcoats are coming." Garrett mumbled under his breath, and I took a deep breath before responding. 

 "Rochambeau." 

"Aro's looking for Alice." Edward explained, and I felt a warmth flood the air, turning to see a familiar wolf standing next to Clara. The big, silver one that I spotted in the meadow... Paul. 

 When the red-eyed man spoke, his voice was almost as creepy as his weird-ass hair. 

 "Courtney Swan. I'd like to speak to Courtney Swan."

 Everyone in our group tensed collectively as the red eyes of the Volturi turned to look me. I gulped, sucking in another thick breath of air. Of course these guys want to talk to me... Who was I to expect I could finally be normal in a war?