Chapter 4: Letter

Chapter 4:

Kei seemed stunned as the unexpected words came out of Mizuki's mouth. She immediately recognized Kei's shocked expression and felt herself blush deeply out of embarrassment. Maybe she shouldn't have said that. Judging from Kei's facial expressions, she definitely should not have said that.

"Never mind!" Mizuki shouted promptly, trying to hide her reddened face.

Kei shook his head and began walking forward without responding to her statement. She felt hurt in a way, but she shouldn't expect him to want her in his life. She did force him to become friends as kids, but now that they were older, things could change.

The two walked in silence as the sunset slowly. As soon as they reached Mizuki's house, Kei nodded goodbye to her without saying another word. She wanted to say something, but nothing came out. Mizuki closed her front door which left Kei to walk home alone.

Kei couldn't get the words that she said out of his mind. He wasn't able to say anything because he didn't want to say the wrong thing. Kei reached his house and slowly opened the door. His mother greeted him and surprisingly, his brother was there too.

"Oh," Kei looked at his brother, who was grinning from ear to ear, "Hey."

"Kei! Aren't you happy to see your older brother home?" He gave a thumbs up.

"No." Kei sighed as he took his shoes off. 

Akiteru, his brother, looked offended by his younger brother's indifference about him being home after months of working hard in Tokyo.

He cleared his throat and smiled, "I ran into someone familiar today."

Kei became a little curious but not enough to have a full conversation with his very annoying brother.

"I'm going up to my room." He stated calmly as he headed towards the stairs.

"It was Toma-san!" Akiteru grinned, "Your friend's mother!"

Kei froze in his tracks and glared at his brother. Akiteru gulped, and continued, "Anyway, she was grocery shopping and she recognized me! She called me handsome!"

Kei rolled his eyes and adjusted his glasses, "Clearly, she was only being nice."

Akiteru faked offense and pouted, "I can't believe you, Kei!" Kei smirked and before he could go up the stairs, his brother continued to pester him.

"Hey, remember when Mizuki-chan gave you that goodbye letter and for the next six months, you were all mopey and wouldn't leave your room?" Akiteru smiled deviously, "Now that she's back, I wonder if you're-"

Before Kei's brother could finish his sentence, he threw his schoolbag at his brother which made him go in defense mode. "Ouch!"

"I'm going up to my room," Kei repeated once more, his cold, piercing eyes subtly telling his brother to not bother him.

As soon as Kei reached his room, he took a deep breath and plopped onto his bed face first. He closed his eyes and took a few minutes to recollect his thoughts.

"What should I call you then? Tsukki?"

"Falling in love."

"All I know is that in my future, you're in it."

Kei frowned as he sat upon his bed, wondering if he should text Mizuki something. Anything.

Suddenly, Kei remembered where he had hidden the letter she gave him. He quickly stood up and headed towards his desk. It was cluttered with notebooks, pens, and loose papers that needed to be cleaned or thrown away. There was also a drawer that contained a green, locked box that had her letter and gifts that she had given him when they were kids. He hadn't opened that box since Mizuki left for Brazil. Kei tried to open the lock with sheer strength because he couldn't remember where he had put the key for it. He finally gave up and decided to go downstairs to get a hammer to break open the box. He grabbed the hammer from his father's toolbox as Akiteru suspiciously eyed him.