Chapter 35: Fate

A/N: I strongly recommend that you listen to Get You the Moon by Kina ft. Snow, after the Shiratorizawa game is over. I've linked it above. Enjoy!

Chapter 35:

Fate was a funny thing.

The Karasuno girls lost their game against Dewaichi High, which mentally devastated them. In particular, Rina carried the team with her defense, and the rest of the team tried to compensate for the loss of Mizuki by playing as best as they could, for as long as they could. Much to their dismay, they lost the third and final set with a score of 24-26. It seemed that fate wasn't on their side even though they felt like they were the protagonists of this world.

After the game, Mizuki went to the doctors with her family, and they concluded that she had unfortunately sprained her ankle. Her ankle should heal in a few weeks which was somehow reassuring and bittersweet at the same time. Her friends and teammates came over to her house after her appointment, and cried their hearts out. It was a much needed catharsis for all of them, especially for Mizuki, who held a tremendous amount of guilt due to her absence. Despite the sorrow they felt, their determination crashed through.

Next year, they would make it to nationals, no matter what.

Day 3 of the Prefectural Qualifiers: October 27th

There was no way that Mizuki would miss the boys' most important game yet, especially since it was against Shiratorizawa. She was there with Rina and Mina, who were purchasing snacks and drinks from a vending machine. Although Mizuki had to use crutches in order to walk, her persistence did not stop her from cheering on her best friend, Kei.

She hobbled slowly towards the restroom, and as she approached, one of her crutches hit something on the floor, causing her to lose her grip on it. She staggered unexpectedly, but luckily, a wall was right beside her to help her remain upright.

"Hey! You okay?" She heard a concerned voice ask her.

"Yes!" Mizuki answered instantly, turning around to see a member of the Shiratorizawa volleyball club.

He had thick and messy, ashy blonde hair with dark eyebrows, warm, brown eyes, and a relatively muscular build. His jersey had number 3 on it. The tall boy bent down to pick up one of her crutches that had fallen on the floor.

"Be careful, alright?" He murmured as he helped her readjust her stance.

"Right..." She answered sheepishly.

"Semi-san!" One of his teammates called out, sprinting towards them, "Tendo-san told me to-"

The other boy, who wore a number 8 jersey, froze in place as he stared at her, his mouth hanging open.

"I'll be right there, Goshiki," Semi stated, looking at Mizuki one last time, "Take care."

Semi began walking away, however, Goshiki, who had black hair styled as a bowl cut, continued to gape at her, speechless.

"Um... hello..." Mizuki smiled softly, slightly weirded out by the boy staring at her.

"Um!" He managed to say, swallowing nervously, "You... are..."

"Oh? Tsutomu!" A cheery voice interrupted them.

Another Shiratorizawa member strolled towards them, and this time, he had spiky, red hair. He also had large, beady eyes, and was tall with a medium build. To Mizuki, he seemed really familiar.

"Where have you been? We're about to go warm up!" He grinned, suddenly noticing Mizuki.

"Oh? You're Wakatoshi-kun's family friend, Toma-chan!" He gasped excitedly, "I'm Tendou Satori! We've met before!"