Chapter 9: Crush

Chapter 9:

Mizuki arrived home with her mother to find a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup waiting for her on the dining table. She still felt light-headed but at least she could walk properly this time.

"I made soup for you!" Her brother grinned. She smiled as she set down her school bag on the floor.

Kei briefly visited her at the clinic before her mom came to pick her up. She noticed that he was acting strange but before she could ask him if everything was alright, she remembered feeling extremely nauseous so she had to lie down and close her eyes.

"Let your sister rest first, okay..." Her mother insisted that she lie down on her bed and sleep before eating.

As she changed into her pajamas, she received multiple texts on a group chat from her friends, Rina and Mina.

Rina: ARE YOU OKAY MIZUKI?

Rina: WHO HURT YOU?

Rina: I'LL HIRE A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR AND WE'LL FIND OUT WHO MADE YOU SICK. 

Mina: Calm down Rina. I heard from Tsukishima-san that you have a fever. We'll come by later and visit! Make sure to rest!

Rina: Really? For me, Kageyama was the one that told me Mizuki was sick... very interesting...

Mina: Why are you texting me this if you're right next to me?

Rina: Feel better Mizuki <3

Mizuki texted them, saying thank you and that she'll rest until they come by later. She laid on her bed and felt her forehead. It was a fever alright. Her phone blinked again, indicating that she had received another text message.

Kageyama: Feel better soon, Toma-san. It's not the same at school without you here.

Before she could reply to him, another text message popped up, this time from Kei.

Kei: Stop checking your phone and rest.

Mizuki couldn't help but laugh at his text. He really knew her that well, huh. She placed her phone on her bedside table before finally going to sleep.

~

Kei would rather be with Mizuki than at volleyball practice right now. Unfortunately, his captain would kill him if he didn't show up. They did have a game against Aoba Johsai on Friday. The only reason such a prestigious school would want to have a practice game with Karasuno was if they had Kageyama as the setter.

Kageyama.

The king.

Why is he always everywhere?

Kei had become more tense than usual after his encounter with him earlier that day.

Who does Kageyama think he is?

He looked over at the king, who was yelling at Hinata for missing his set for the third time in a row. There's no way that Mizuki would ever be interested in someone like him... right? When Sugawara told him that it was his turn to serve, Kei didn't even realize that he had served the ball a little too harshly towards Tanaka.

"Tsukishima! Are you trying to kill me?" He grumbled, angrily waving his arms, "I can't die until Kiyoko-san kisses me!"

"Not going to happen." Their manager flat out replied.

"I love it when she talks." Tanaka sighed dreamily.

"Sorry..." Kei muttered quietly, earning a few suspicious glances from the team.