Chapter 40: Home

A/N: To enhance your experience, listen to the song I've recommended for this chapter called Utakata Hanabi! Enjoy!

Chapter 40:

"Sure, come in." Atsumu cleared his throat nervously, opening the door to let her in.

Mizuki nervously entered and sat on his bed.

"Listen, if you're here to make out with me..." He joked, trying to alleviate the palpable tension present in the room.

"Atsumu..." She glared at him, "This is serious."

"Okay... Sorry." He sat beside her, taking a deep breath.

"What you said last night, about not leaving me again..." She murmured, gazing at his golden brown eyes, "What did you mean by that?"

Atsumu's eyes darted around the room, afraid to meet her gaze.

"Oh you know... I was just saying that to make you feel better." He explained as confidently as he could.

"Is that the only reason why you said that?" Mizuki inquired faintly.

Atsumu swallowed as his eyebrows furrowed in concern and guilt. He always was a terrible liar when it came to her.

"Nah," He confessed nonchalantly, "But I think you already knew that."

Mizuki's eyes widened in surprise but deep down, she could tell that behind his flirtatious and snarky comments, Atsumu still had lingering feelings for her. This made what she was about to do a thousand times more difficult.

"You and I..." She murmured, smiling softly, "We had some really great moments and firsts but..."

Atsumu knew where this was headed - it was his fault for hoping that something would change between them.

"It's not me." He finished the sentence for her, chuckling tiredly.

Mizuki nodded slowly, "I'm not denying that you meant a lot to me. You did and you still do. You were my first kiss, my first boyfriend, and my first real relationship. You stood up for me, and you protected me. You made me laugh and cry, and for that, I'm grateful. Those memories of us... I'll always remember."

"Why does it sound like we're breaking up again?" He joked, the smirk on his face slowly disappearing.

"Thank you for making me feel better last night," Mizuki added, placing her hand on his, "You're a great friend, and I hope we can continue being friends for a long time."

Atsumu took a few seconds to recollect his thoughts before grinning and squeezing her hand reassuringly.

"You're lucky that you're adorable." He commented playfully.

"So... Friends?" She mumbled nervously.

"Friends." He smiled sadly, letting go of her hand.

Before she could stand up from his bed, he murmured, "Wait."

She wondered what he was going to reveal. Instead, he tenderly tilted her head towards him, pressing his lips on her forehead affectionately.

I'm grateful I was fortunate enough to have gotten a girl like you.

After a few seconds, Mizuki stood up and took one last look at him. She waved goodbye and exited his room. Atsumu kept his jovial expression plastered on his face until she left. It felt like someone filled his heart with a heavy black hole. He took out his phone and texted his twin.

Atsumu: Mizuki's moved on. I should too.

Osamu: Sorry Sumu...

Atsumu: It's fine. I kind of already knew. Didn't want it to be true, I guess.