Chapter 57: The One

A/N: This chapter is rated M for mature. Some contents in this chapter may be considered intense and heavy.

Chapter 57:

Immediately after the car accident, a witness called the emergency phone number and within minutes, ambulances and police cars showed up at the scene. Kei regained consciousness, and his first instinct was to look at the passenger seat where Mizuki was out cold. She had a few scratches on her face from the impact, and Kei nearly lost it the second he saw drops of blood on her forehead.

"Princess..." He whispered, trembling as he reached forward to touch her, "Mizuki... Wake up..."

"Sir, we're going to need you to stay still. We're going to get you out of there." He heard one of the paramedics outside of his car instruct him.

"Mizuki..." Kei mumbled, his mind in shambles, as he shifted his body to check if... she was breathing.

"Sir... Please do not move. We don't know the extent of your injuries and if-" The paramedic was interrupted by Kei's sudden outburst.

"Shut up! Shut up!" He shouted fiercely, "Help her! I don't care about me!"

"Alright sir, we'll get you both out of there, okay? Just remain calm..." The paramedic tried to soothe him but it didn't work.

"Damn it..." Kei muttered, his head throbbing painfully, "This is my fault... Mizuki... I'm so sorry..."

After what seemed like an agonizing eternity, Kei and Mizuki were carefully removed from the car. It wasn't completely totaled, and the paramedic told him that they were lucky that it wasn't a more severe crash. The two were shortly taken to the nearest hospital in different ambulances and their families were instantly notified of what had happened.

"Mizuki... Is she okay...?" Kei managed to say, the adrenaline that kept him awake gradually diminishing.

"Let's focus on you first, alright?" One of the doctors murmured warmly.

"No... No... Her..." He mumbled, before inevitably falling unconscious. 

A few hours passed and Kei heard a heavy, garbled conversation.

"No, you can't tell Kei... It'll destroy him."

"He's going to ask for her the second he wakes up."

"He... won't be able to take it..."

Kei opened his eyes slightly, the bright lights from the ceiling causing him to squint. Every single part of his body hurt like hell.

"Kei, you're awake..." Akiteru sighed, relieved, "We were so worried..."

"Mizuki..." Kei coughed, attempting to sit up on his bed.

Kei's mother, as well as Yamaguchi, stood in silence, unable to explain the unfathomable consequence of their car accident.

"Where is she?" He asked, his head pulsating achingly.

"She..." Yamaguchi's lip quivered.

"Kei... Sweetheart... She's..." His mother mumbled, tears streaming down her face.

"What...?" Kei observed their somber and mourning expressions.

No. No. No.

This cannot be happening.

Please. No...

"Where... Where is she?" Kei asked, his voice cracking in desperation.

"She..." Akiteru sat beside his brother gently, swallowing apprehensively.