Chapter 58: Forever

Chapter 58:

The qualifiers for Spring Interhigh were probably the most intense, thrilling matches for both the boys and the girls since they were first years. First, the boys fought ruthlessly to get to the finals, where they faced Aoba Johsai, the team they lost to in Summer Interhigh. Thanks to their constant practicing, incredible persistence, and formidable teamwork, they won, meaning that they would be competing in nationals!

As for the girls' team, although Mizuki couldn't play in the qualifiers, they had gained and improved the necessary skills and teamwork required to defeat the other teams. With Rina and Mina's guidance and determination, the team was able to remarkably make their way to the top. They competed in the finals and narrowly won against Shiratorizawa Academy. They, along with the boys' team, would be competing in nationals in January!

A few days after the fall qualifiers, something unexpected (yet long overdue) happened. Kageyama asked Rina out on an official date at an indoor amusement park. She agreed, and the two stood at the front entrance in uncomfortable silence. Since their impromptu makeout session in the equipment room a few weeks ago, they bounced around the idea of potentially dating. However, there was so much uncertainty around their relationship and because of this, the awkwardness between them continued to prevail.

"So... What should we do first?" Rina asked slowly, her gaze darting between the rollercoaster and the hot air balloon ride.

"What do you want to do?" Kageyama cleared his throat apprehensively.

"Um..." Rina mumbled, her eyes travelling to a booth, "How about we ride the rollercoaster?"

Kageyama shuddered at the thought of falling off the seat the second the ride hung upside down. He had never been on a rollercoaster before and he didn't want to seem like a weakling in front of Rina so he agreed. The two lined up and waited in silence, unable to start a conversation. That was until they noticed that Kunimi and his girlfriend were behind them, arguing. Kunimi seemingly remained quiet as his girlfriend continued to berate him about something.

Kunimi's exhausted eyes gazed up and met Rina's, and she timidly waved at him. They hadn't talked properly in a while, mostly because his girlfriend didn't like her hanging out with girls (not just Rina). Despite this, he found himself waving back at her. Kageyama nodded slightly as a way to greet him.

"She's kind of intense..." Kageyama murmured softly, referring to Kunimi's girlfriend.

"She wasn't like that when I first met her... She seems more possessive of him now..." Rina answered faintly.

They were worried about Kunimi, especially because it seemed like he was being verbally mistreated. Kageyama took a deep breath and sauntered over to them.

"Hey! What are you-" Rina whispered fiercely, only to be interrupted by Kageyama's abrupt question.

"Kunimi, do you want to join us?" Kageyama asked, his eyebrows furrowing with determination.

"Oh... Kageyama... I'm with my girlfriend..." Kunimi replied flatly.

"What the hell?" Kunimi's girlfriend spat out angrily.

Rina gawked at Kageyama, who didn't seem to be backing down.

"If you want to have fun tonight, you should join me and Rina." He insisted, glaring at Kunimi's girlfriend.

"Oh... Well, maybe we could-" Kunimi mumbled nimbly, only to be cut off by his girlfriend.

"No, we won't be joining you both," She huffed as she rolled her eyes, "Thanks."

She faced Rina and stared at her with disgust. Normally, in this situation, Rina would have slapped the hell out of anyone insulting her or her friends but she didn't want to cause any trouble for Kunimi. She had matured, in some ways. Instead of reacting instantly with her emotions, she thought things through a little bit more and how it would affect others.