Chapter 36: Favorite Girl

Chapter 36:

After the Karasuno boys' victory dinner (which Mizuki and the twins were invited to), Mizuki had no choice but to be carried by Kei on his back. Tanaka and Nishinoya had stolen her crutches and were playing with them, leaving her unable to walk by herself. She had her arms wrapped around Kei's neck, careful not to accidentally choke him while he held her legs securely, making sure she was as comfortable as possible. The cool, dark night illuminated their way back home, and eventually, their friends' cheers and screeches receded.

"So, when did you realize you had feelings for me?" Mizuki grinned, eager to hear Kei's response.

"You first." He replied coolly.

"What- I asked you first!" She retorted, frowning slightly.

"Fine," He sighed, rolling his eyes, "I realized it during the first training camp weekend in Tokyo. You asked if I wanted company because there might be a thunderstorm and I..."

Kei paused, ashamed to admit that it took him that long to realize how he felt about her.

"I guess that's when it started."

"Really? That early on?" She asked, stunned by his answer.

That meant that he had liked her for a long time, and she had been too blind to notice.

"Yeah," He nodded quietly, "What about you? When did you realize that you... liked me?"

"I realized it during the summer, when you passed out that night during training camp," She admitted shyly, "It was sort of a wake-up call for me."

"Really?" Kei smirked, "That's cute."

Mizuki grimaced, unable to contain her embarrassment, "Stop calling me cute..."

"You are cute," He stated smugly, "Why would I stop calling you that?"

She tightened her grip on his neck, determined to make him stop talking. She wasn't quite used to the teasing, especially now that she knew that it was because he liked her. It was completely new territory, and she did enjoy it, but still...

"So," Mizuki cleared her throat, "What you're saying is that you fell for me first, correct?"

Kei shut his eyes as he continued walking, feeling his face burn hot, "So what?"

"That's cute." She retorted back, snickering softly.

"Hmph." He grumbled, trying his best to remain as aloof as possible.

"Wait..." She murmured bashfully, "Put me down for a minute."

He bent down a little to help her down, and as soon as she reached the ground, she hobbled over to face him directly. She observed his exhausted face - his glasses had become a bit lopsided so she decided to fix them. Her delicate touch caused Kei's heart to jump but he remained stationary. He liked being this close to her.

Suddenly, she brushed her lips tenderly against his, surprising him. After a few seconds, he kissed her passionately, his hands resting firmly on her back. He pulled her closer, wanting to savor every little touch between the two of them. They both pulled back, attempting to catch their breath.

"Stop kissing me so much..." Kei murmured, smiling faintly, "You're making me dizzy..."

Mizuki grinned, wrapping her arms above his shoulders playfully, "Oh yeah? What about when I kissed you after your date with that girl? Did you feel dizzy then?"

"No," He scoffed lightheartedly, "That kiss doesn't count. It wasn't a real kiss."

She laughed elatedly and kissed him again - she couldn't get enough of Tsukishima Kei.