Chapter 31: Cute

Chapter 31:

The remaining days of training camp were pretty much a blur to both Mizuki and Kei. They didn't spend that much time together except after dinnertime, where they either watched movies on Kei's tablet or just talked. There was even an instance where she accidentally fell asleep beside him and woke up to Sawamura scolding Kei about having a girl sleep with him, whatever that meant.

It was the last day of training camp and according to a rumor Mizuki heard, there would be a barbecue after the practice games were over. As the Karasuno girls' team finished their penalty runs up the hill, Mizuki pulled aside Rina and Mina to tell them what she had discovered about herself.

"I want to tell you both something." She murmured as they recovered from their sprints.

"Is it that you're regretting joining the volleyball club?" Rina groaned tiredly, "Because I am! I'm starting a petition to ban running!"

"No, it's not that!" Mizuki laughed and shook her head, "It's kind of a secret, at least for now."

"What is it?" Mina inquired curiously.

"I have recently come to the conclusion that..." She paused, still unable to believe the words that were about to come out of her mouth, "I like Kei."

The twins looked at each other, then back at her. They didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Rina grimaced and crossed her arms while Mina cackled triumphantly.

"You owe me $100," Mina smirked.

"Are you serious?! Mizuki!" Rina complained, shaking her head, "Why now?!"

"What's going on?" Mizuki raised an eyebrow, confused by what was happening.

"Rina and I made a bet that you would realize how you really felt about him." Mina explained thoroughly.

"I said you would never realize it until Tsukishima made the first move!" Rina dramatically laid down on the field, "Damn it!"

"You... both knew?" Mizuki asked, stunned by their relaxed responses. Also, what did she mean by Kei making the first move?

"Duh!" Rina snickered, "Ever since we followed him on his date, I had a feeling that you had feelings for him!"

"I knew it during our birthday party," Mina added smugly, "When you slept beside him."

Mizuki blushed furiously, staring at the grass, "Why didn't you both tell me?!"

"It's something you had to realize for yourself, obviously!" Rina grinned supportively, "Although I don't like that bean-pole, he cares about you, which makes him a tiny bit better."

Mizuki smiled, sitting beside her friends on the field, "What do you think I should do?"

"You could tell him how you feel," Mina suggested instantly.

"Are you insane?!" Mizuki and Rina exclaimed at the same time. The two stared then laughed at one another.

"I want to tell him how I feel but..." She trailed off, "I don't want to lose our friendship."

"Because you're my best friend, I'm going to be honest with you," Rina took a deep breath and grabbed Mizuki's shoulders, "You can be an idiot sometimes!"

"Thank you," Mizuki sarcastically commented back, "Still, it's a valid reason to not tell him how I feel!"

"I think you're scared of getting rejected," Mina interjected, patting her head.