Chapter 27: Just Friends

Chapter 27:

Things have been a little awkward and strange between the two of them ever since Mizuki very swiftly pecked Kei on the lips. She wouldn't even count it as a kiss because she barely felt his lips on hers. It was a brief touch with almost no contact. After their fleeting moment that night, Kei practically sprinted out of her house without saying another word.

So, because of what happened, Mizuki barely spoke to him as she felt mortified thinking about what she had done. She attempted to push the overwhelming thoughts out of her mind as she greeted her teammates who were waiting for the bus to take them to Tokyo.

The Karasuno girls and boys volleyball clubs were invited to attend a week-long training camp in Shinzen High School in Tokyo. Thanks to Bokuto and Mizuki's old classmate, Kojima, they were able to convince their coaches to invite Karasuno to their exclusive training camp.

"This is way too early!" Rina complained, rubbing her eyes sleepily.

Mizuki observed as both the boys and her other teammates began to arrive. Nishinoya and Tanaka seemed to be in high spirits but she noticed that Hinata and Kageyama were not really speaking to each other. From what she heard, they had a fight about certain plays in volleyball.

Suddenly, Kei appeared from the corner of the street with Yamaguchi by his side. She gulped nervously, frantically thinking of ways to apologize to him about what had happened. She was upset at the time and him teasing her didn't help but she still shouldn't have kissed (if you call that a kiss) him like that without his permission. Mizuki froze - it wasn't like she wanted to ask permission to kiss Kei. She didn't want to kiss him. That would be ridiculous...

"Good morning Toma-san, Suzuki-san!" Yamaguchi beamed cheerily.

"Morning Yamaguchi!" Rina greeted, "And hello to you, stingy-shima!"

"Suzuki-san, please refrain from yelling so early in the morning. You'll wake up everyone in Japan." Kei retorted tiredly, causing Rina's eye to twitch in annoyance.

"Morning Kei," Mizuki smiled timidly, "Um... How are you?"

He gazed at her briefly before clearing his throat, "I'm well. You?"

"Um... I'm well too." She mumbled, biting her lip anxiously. This was extremely embarrassing.

"That's good." He nodded as Yamaguchi stared at him curiously. Rina also wondered why they were acting so strange.

"Girls! Gather up!" Mizuki's coach boomed. She and Rina scrambled and met with their other teammates.

"Your captain just informed me that our bus is full so we're going to have two of you on the boys' bus," She explained, scanning the vicinity, "Any volunteers?"

Normally, Rina would've volunteered in a heartbeat seeing as this was her chance to sit next to Sugawara, but because of her circumstances with Kageyama, she'd rather stay on the girls' bus. Ultimately, nobody volunteered so their coach had to randomly select two girls to be on the boys' bus.

"Suzuki Rina! You're awfully quiet today," Their coach remarked, smirking at Rina, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing coach!" Rina smiled nervously, "Just don't want to wake up all of Japan this early in the morning."

"Is that so?" Their coach faced Mina, "What about you, Suzuki Mina?"

"I'd prefer to stay on the girls' bus so that I can work on our strategies with you and the captain," Mina stated coolly.

"Alright then. Suzuki Rina, thank you for graciously volunteering to be on the boys' bus." Their coach grinned, "You can pick one more person to go with you."