Chapter 5: Five Years

Chapter 5:

Mizuki and Kei spent the whole day not speaking to each other. She was afraid that she had scared him away whereas he couldn't find the right words to express what he was feeling. Even Yamaguchi sensed something was off when Kei rushed off to go somewhere else for lunch instead of chatting with Mizuki and her friends. Mizuki felt conflicted and even wanted to apologize again for what she said but Rina convinced her not to.

As the last bell of the day rang, Kei hastily packed up his school things when he noticed that Yamaguchi was still talking to their classmates. He wanted to wait for his friend so that they could go to the club together. Today was the day that they were going to play against the shrimpy, orange-haired kid and the hot-tempered king, Kageyama. He really couldn't stand those two. They were annoying and bratty, and they had no regard for school rules. The hilarious incident with the vice principal's fake hair proved his first impressions about the two. Kei crossed his arms and gazed around their classroom. It seemed like Mizuki and her friend were gone. He was a bit disappointed but he couldn't focus on that now. He had a game to play.

Mizuki, Rina, and Mina rushed off to the boy's volleyball club with Hinata as soon as the bell rang.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Toma-san!" Hinata beamed, "Rina-chan always talks about you!"

"I do not!" Rina blushed, slapping Hinata's back repeatedly, "Shoyo, stop embarrassing me!"

Mizuki noticed how they used their first names instead of their last names when addressing each other. It must be because they've become good friends with each other.

Mizuki smiled, "I'm excited to see you play, Hinata."

"To be honest, I'm not that good," He laughed, as his expression changed from cheerful to determined, "I have to win against that stingy kid and his friend today. I have to be part of the volleyball club!"

Rina told them that Hinata had to team up with Kageyama in order to join the club because of an incident with the vice principal that caused their captain a lot of trouble. Mizuki wondered what that whole situation was about.

As soon as they had reached the gym, they greeted the boys that were in the volleyball club. Mizuki stared at the familiar net set up and volleyballs that were flung across the room. It strangely felt like home.

Hinata introduced them to the captain, whose name was Sawamura Daichi, and their vice-captain, whose name was Sugawara Koshi. The two third-years seemed really kind and helpful, which was the complete opposite of the second-year that greeted them.

"I'm Tanaka Ryunosuke, a second-year!" He triumphantly laughed, "You must be my fans!"

Mizuki, Rina, and Mina looked at each other in confusion before they were interrupted by a voice.

"I know who you are!" A boy with dark, black hair exclaimed, pointing directly at Mizuki.

"Oi, Kageyama," Sugawara shook his head disappointingly, "It's not nice to point at people!"

"You're Toma Mizuki!" Kageyama gasped in surprise, his eyes twinkling in admiration. "Your father was an amazing volleyball player!"

"Eh?!" Hinata yelled loudly, facing Mizuki, "Your father's a professional volleyball player? That's so cool!"

Mizuki scratched her head shyly, "Thank you..."

"Oi, you two," Sugawara pinched their ears, "Apologize right now." 

It was clear that Sugawara knew about her too, judging from his empathetic smile.

"Why?" Hinata replied in a confused manner, "Is your father not a volleyball player anymore?"