Chapter 45: Promise

Chapter 45:

New Years Eve, 11:48pm

"Why did you bring me up here?" Kei sighed exasperatedly.

He was exhausted from having to be so accommodating and kind to Hayashi. When did he suddenly become Mr. Nice Guy, anyway? This was Mizuki's fault for making him a better person and all that. 

He smiled at the thought of his girlfriend -  God, I love her. 

"I wanted to spend some time alone with you..." Hayashi smiled playfully.

"I don't." He responded callously.

If Kei was being honest, he really couldn't care less about Hayashi. Despite the fact that they used to be childhood friends, he forgot about her the second she moved away to Tokyo. In a way, as horrible as it sounded, he was using her as a replacement when Mizuki moved away to Brazil. Hayashi was an energetic girl who liked volleyball like his girlfriend, but she was no Toma Mizuki. She was far from it.

"You're still as cold as ever, Tsukki-kun..." She frowned, moving closer to him.

"If there's no reason why we're up here, I'm going to go find my girlfriend." Kei stated casually, moving towards the door.

"Wait!" She called out abruptly.

Kei turned back, only for her to suddenly wrap her arms over his shoulders. Without any warning, she leapt up and kissed him, surprising him. He froze for a few seconds as he tried to process what had happened. He immediately shoved her away, causing her to stumble slightly.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" He shouted furiously, his blood boiling from her unprecedented actions.

"I wanted to kiss you again, like when we were kids," She explained sheepishly, "I missed you, Tsukki-kun."

"I don't care," He spat out, his eyebrows furrowing in rage, "You should leave."

"But... Tsukki..." Hayashi mumbled, reaching out for his arm.

"Don't call me that," Kei snarled bitterly, "Go home, Hayashi. I don't want you here."

Without hearing what she had to say, he jogged down the staircase in search of Mizuki. He spotted the front door open, which intrigued him as it was closed earlier. He shut the door, just in case someone had forgotten to.

He made his way around the party, scanning each room to find Mizuki. He couldn't find her anywhere. He took out his phone and called her but it went straight to voicemail. He even texted her but she didn't reply. Then, Kei spotted Rina standing awkwardly beside Kageyama. He approached her, wanting to know if she knew where Mizuki was.

"Suzuki-san, have you seen Mizuki?" Kei asked worriedly.

"I thought she went upstairs to find you..." Rina answered slowly.

"She never did." He swallowed anxiously, his mind gradually dissolving into panic.

"HEY TSUKISHIMA!" A voice screeched angrily.

He spun around to find Mizuki's team captain stomping towards him.

"You have some nerve, you know that?" She spat out, clearly enraged, "Toma-chan is head over heels for you, and you do this to her?"

"Wait, captain... What are you talking about?" Rina blinked a few times, confused by the situation.

"This!"

She held out her phone, displaying a photo of Kei and Hayashi kissing. Rina's jaw dropped as she stared at the unexpected imagine in front of her.

"Woah... Tsukishima..." Kageyama's eyes widened in shock.