Chapter 42: Another Reunion

Chapter 42:

One week later

Despite the volleyball season being over for the girls, they continued their practice as preparation for next year. Their goal was to attend nationals in order to compete against all qualifying schools in Japan. Maybe even win.

"I know you want to watch your boyfriend's practice game, Toma-chan," Their captain teased, "But we have to practice."

"It's not like that!" Mizuki insisted, flustered by her upperclassman's words, "I was just thinking about next year. I really want to go to nationals."

"Then enough yapping and more whooshing!" Her captain stated enthusiastically.

Mizuki nodded and joined the rest of her team with serving drills.

Meanwhile, at the other gym, Kei and his team were playing their practice game against Date Tech. Now that Kogane was their setter, their wall seemed even more impenetrable. As the games progressed, Kei noticed that Kageyama was acting strange, as if something in the training camp had changed him. Then, as if right on cue, Kageyama started barking orders at their teammates. He criticized Nishinoya, which stunned everyone. He was like the tyrant king again.

Hinata dismissed Kageyama's worries, and said that they shouldn't care that he was a "king" again. Kei took this opportunity to make fun of Kageyama, in order to ease the tension, only for Hinata to call him immature.

Hinata. Called. Him. Immature.

Hinata.

After the Date Tech practice games, Kei tiredly sauntered over to the other gym to see Mizuki. He stepped in, and observed her jump in preparation for her devastating left-handed spike. He smiled as he watched her determined expression. Absolutely breathtaking.

She hit the spike flawlessly, the volleyball smashing on the floor.

"Nice kill!" Rina called out.

"Oh?" One of her teammates sang playfully, "Toma-chan! It's your boyfriend!"

Mizuki's head snapped up the second she heard Kei was there. Their eyes met, and he smirked at her sudden reaction. She waved at him, a big grin plastered on her exhausted face.

"Alright, if the boys are done with practice, it probably means we've been here too long," Their captain laughed, "Practice is over!"

Mizuki jogged over to Kei and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

"How was your practice game?" She beamed elatedly.

"Horrible. Hinata called me immature." He shook his head disapprovingly, "Hinata."

Mizuki laughed warmly and said, "You kind of are."

He grimaced, disagreeing with her statement, "I thought girlfriends were supposed to be supportive."

"I am supportive," She interjected playfully, "I just happen to agree with Hinata this time."

Before Kei could retort against her, Rina and Mina strolled towards them.

"Tsukishima!" Rina stated excitedly, "You're invited to our New Years party in a few weeks. It'll be when Mina and I come back from America."

"Thank you for inviting me to your prestigious party. I am honored and humbled to be chosen." He replied sarcastically.

Rina's eye twitched as she rolled up her sleeve, "Mizuki... Tell your boyfriend to shut his mouth or else..."

Mizuki sighed deeply and said, "Kei, please don't be so mean."