Chapter 8: The King

Chapter 8:

Rina woke up early on Monday to help Hinata practice his receives at school. They had become quite good friends and Kageyama even referred to them as the "chaotic combo" because of their boundless energy and persistent hollering at one another and other people.

She had heard from Mizuki that she and Tsukishima had a fun time at the arcade which made her worried for Kageyama. Even though Mizuki insisted that the two were just friends, it didn't seem like it to her. She preferred her best friend to be with someone like Kageyama, who was irritating at times, but nevertheless, he was friendlier and more approachable than Tsukishima. Tsukishima was like a prickly cactus that would stab anything or anyone that came near him.

"Yo." Kageyama yawned, setting his bag down on the pavement.

"Oh! Kageyama!" Rina grinned as she stared at his sleepy face, "I didn't know you were going to be joining us!"

"That idiot woke me up and insisted that I come early so we could practice our quick attack." He explained, eyeing Hinata who was setting the volleyball poorly.

"Before we start, I have something to tell you." She stood next to him as they both watched Hinata fumble with the ball.

"Yesterday, Mizuki and Tsukishima-kun hung out at an arcade." She assessed Kageyama's reaction, which remained indifferent.

"They're friends," He paused, "It's natural that they'd spend time together."

"It's not just that," Rina added, "When I spoke to her last night, she seemed different. I think something happened between them."

"Like what?" He asked, not meeting her gaze.

"I don't know, but this is a big problem for us." She sighed as she crossed her arms. 

Kageyama could be a little slow when it came to love and relationships... and everything else, but that made him more adorable.

"Us?" Kageyama repeated after her.

"Uh, yeah! I'm helping you get a date with her, remember?" She smiled, "I've always succeeded when it comes to setting people up."

"If I did want to spend time with Toma-san, which I'm not saying I want to," He blushed slightly, his eyebrows furrowing in concern, "How?"

"First, we practice," She exclaimed, clapping giddily, "I'll help you with what to say and how to act around her." 

He looked even more distressed as she continued to tell him the rest of her plans.

"To start, I'll pretend to be Mizuki and you be... you," She glanced at him skeptically, "A better version of you."

He rolled his eyes as he walked towards Hinata, his hands buried in his pockets.

"So?! What do you think?!" Rina ran up to him, ignoring the fact that he had simply walked away in the middle of their conversation.

"Fine..." Kageyama muttered quietly, "Just try not to fall in love with me."

"That won't be a problem." Rina grinned while giving him a thumbs up.

The two finally joined Hinata, who seemed to be struggling with keeping the ball in play against a flat wall. She proceeded to help Hinata with his form and serves while simultaneously giving Kageyama tips on how to bond with Mizuki. Rina was also excited to watch the boys play against Aoba Johsai on Friday, especially because she had heard that their captain was very good-looking.