Chapter 7: Thunderstorms

Chapter 7:

Mizuki woke up to a rainy Sunday morning. Her and Kei made plans to hang out at the arcade they used to play at when they were kids and she was thrilled to finally spend some time with him. She had been extremely busy since her family moved back to Miyagi so this felt like an opportunity to have fun and relax with her friend. She even insisted that Mina and Rina come with them but unfortunately, they were busy preparing for their father's awaited visit.

Mizuki jumped out of bed and went straight to the shower. Afterward, she decided to wear a bright, yellow top with high-waisted, black jeans. She also made sure that she was wearing the T-Rex necklace he had given her when they were kids. After she finished putting on her makeup, she headed downstairs to tell her family about her plan for the day.

"Good morning!" Mizuki greeted her mother and younger brother as she sat down to eat breakfast with them.

"Morning!" Her brother, Jun, responded with a cereal-filled mouth.

"Morning honey," Mizuki's mother smiled, "You look extra cute today. What's the occasion?"

Mizuki grinned, munching on an apple, "Remember Kei?"

Her mother nodded slowly as she sat down and sipped her coffee. "Of course I do. He was your crush-"

"NOPE!" Mizuki interrupted her mother and cleared her throat, "He was my friend when we were kids, mom! I didn't have a crush on him!"

"Who's Kei?" Her brother asked curiously. Jun was only a toddler when they moved to Brazil so he didn't really know who he was.

"He's my friend," She repeated one more time, "We're going to that arcade that dad took us to a lot when we were kids. Remember Z arcade?"

"Oh yes... If your father was here right now, he would definitely be teasing you about him." Her mother added, smiling to herself.

The three of them laughed altogether before finishing up breakfast. Even though it still hurt talking about her father, Mizuki felt comforted that her mother and brother were there with her to grieve and remember him.

After a while, the doorbell rang loudly, meaning that her friend had arrived. Mizuki hurriedly ran to the door and opened it to find a soaked Tsukishima Kei standing on her front porch. He was wearing a black shirt with dark blue jeans that seemed a little too loose for him. He also had his white headphones draped around his neck.

"...I forgot to bring an umbrella." Kei muttered softly, his blonde hair drenched from the pouring rain. His glasses were covered in water droplets as he pouted in front of her.

She couldn't help but laugh which caused him to sigh in annoyance.

"Come in," She managed to say, wiping the tears that had formed on her face, "You live five minutes away from me and you couldn't get an umbrella?"

"I was at Yamaguchi's house." He removed his shoes slowly, "Besides, I didn't want to go home."

"And because of that, you're soaking wet." Mizuki nodded as she returned from the restroom carrying a dry towel.

"I get it." She smirked deviously as she handed him a towel.

"What?" He inquired, sitting down on the floor and drying his hair carefully.

"You got too excited to hang out with me. That's why you didn't go home first." Mizuki answered triumphantly.

Kei looked at her with a disgruntled expression on his face and stood up.