Chapter 39: From the Beginning

Chapter 39:

"I don't really know what to do, Kunimi." Rina sighed exasperatedly as she chatted with him on the phone.

"About?" He asked flatly.

"Well, Mizuki and I made a promise to each other that we would tell the guys that we like how we felt about them but she already did, kind of." She explained comprehensively.

"So, she left you alone?" Kunimi mumbled faintly.

"I'm sure she didn't mean to. Tsukishima initiated the kiss first." She pursed her lips together, recalling how flabbergasted she was when Kei kissed Mizuki so suddenly.

Granted, she did interrupt them during their birthday party.

"How's Toma-san, by the way?" He cleared his throat, the topic of Kageyama and Rina making him feel weary.

"She could be better," Rina grimaced, "She had a horrible argument with Tsukishima last night and she came back to our room sobbing."

"Oh. That explains why Tsukishima could barely focus this morning." Kunimi pointed out.

"I want to go there and slap the hell out of him for making her feel so sad," She furrowed her eyebrows, frustrated at her best friend's situation, "At the same time, I kind of understand why he's upset."

"I'm sure they'll patch things up." He reassured her.

"Yeah. He cares way too much about Mizuki to let her go that easily." Rina murmured in a hopeful tone.

"So, about your question..." Kunimi swallowed apprehensively.

"Oh yeah!" She exclaimed, leaning back casually, "I'm hoping that you, my brilliant friend, have a solution."

"How about just telling Kageyama how you feel?" He suggested softly.

"It's not that simple." Rina stated, frowning.

"You're overthinking too much." Kunimi shook his head.

"No I'm not!" She complained, "If it was you, how would you tell the girl you like that you have feelings for her?!"

Kunimi remained stagnant as he processed her words. What would he say to her, if the circumstances were different? If she didn't like Kageyama, and he stood a chance against him, what would he tell Rina?

"Hello? Kunimi?" She disrupted his thoughts, checking if her phone had glitched.

"I would tell her that when I first noticed her, I was captivated by her ability to make others around her feel as lively as she does," Kunimi declared, his breath quivering, "Then, as I learned more about her, I discovered that she's breathtaking, intelligent, and supportive of her family and friends, which makes her selfless and loyal. She's talented, tenacious, and passionate about everything and anything, which is the complete opposite of who I am. It was refreshing and I sort of envied her. For those reasons, I fell for her."

Rina's eyes widened at his sudden lengthy description. She had never heard him describe anyone, or frankly, anything for that long.

"Woah... Kunimi!" She exclaimed curiously, "Who is this special girl? Is it anyone I know?"

"It's no one," He mumbled coolly, "I gave you an example. Just tell Kageyama what you like about him and I'm sure he'll like that."

"Thanks..." Rina smiled, "And you know, that girl would be lucky to date someone like you!"

"Right..." Kunimi cleared his throat, "Anyway, I have to go."

"Okay!" She sighed deeply, "Hey, listen... Thanks for being a great friend, Kunimi. I know I can be a little much sometimes."