Chapter 67: Confession

Chapter 67:

Today was September 16th - the day before Mizuki's 23rd birthday. Kei sighed tiredly as he stared at the ceiling. If she were in Japan right now, he would have taken her to an autumn festival near his apartment, and they would be watching fireworks on a small boat by the indigo river together. He grimaced, checking his phone on the nightstand to see if she had messaged him.

Nothing.

Kei shifted his body so that he was on his stomach, burying his face on his pillow gloomily. His birthday was 10 days after hers, and she wouldn't be there for it either. Life was so cruel. Was this how it was going to be like for the next couple of years? No Mizuki?

Suddenly, he heard a gentle knock on his door.

"Tsukki, are you awake?" Yamaguchi asked through the door.

"Yes..." He replied blandly.

"Alright," Yamaguchi swung the door wide open, "Get up and shower already! We have a lot to do today!"

"Aren't we just picking up some packages at the post office?" Kei sat up, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"Yes but actually, we've got to buy groceries, get the car washed, pick up our dry cleaning, buy gifts for a bunch of our friends, and more!" He stated cheerily.

"Why do we have to do all of that today?" Kei muttered, "I want to stay home in case Mizuki calls later. It's her birthday tomorrow."

"I know, but don't worry!" His friend grinned, "We'll be back home before you know it."

In reality, they were out of the apartment for 5 hours, doing one errand after another. Kei didn't know why Yamaguchi was so adamant about finishing all their tasks today.

"I'm never running errands with you ever again." Kei shook his head as he took out his key to open the front door of their apartment.

"Fine by me!" Yamaguchi smiled slyly.

Kei opened the door and entered, placing the bags of groceries and other things they had bought on the floor. Without warning, Yamaguchi slammed the door closed without entering, leaving him in the apartment all by himself.

"Yamaguchi, what are you..." Kei trailed off, noticing that his surroundings had changed.

The living room was decorated with vibrant party streamers, and there were many colorful balloons laying on the floor and floating in the air. He sauntered into the room cautiously, unsure of what was happening in front of him. If this was an early surprise party for him, it sucked, mostly because there was no one around to actually celebrate his birthday.

At least, that was what he thought.

"Happy early birthday, stupid."

Kei froze, a sweet-sounding, familiar voice rendering him dazed and speechless. He turned around slowly, wondering if his mind was playing a ruthless trick on him. It couldn't be her...

"Mizuki..." He whispered breathlessly as their eyes met.

She stood in front of him, grinning widely.

"How... What..." Kei swallowed, his vision blurring, "Is that really you?"

"Surprise!" Mizuki exclaimed elatedly.

He shook his head in disbelief, his body and mind unable to comprehend that she was truly there, right in front of him.

"You know, I was kind of hoping for a better reaction," She teased playfully, "After all, I came all the way from Brazil and planned-"