Chapter Twenty Four

Coach could be an angry little man when he wanted, I sat and watched him from across the desk shouting and screaming at me. My face was expressionless, I didn't care and as far as they knew I was jumped so these injuries are not my fault.

".....fucking lucky to make the playoffs quite frankly!"

"Oh come on coach! I'm gonna need what a week? Maybe two?" So dramatic, Mr Abrutzi sat opposite me, a small smile played on his mouth.

"Ok Jackson, I think Y/LN has got the gist. You can go, Y/LN stay, I want to go through this injury report with you.

I nodded and watched coach leave the room. Mr Abrutzi poured me a whiskey, wouldn't mix well with my meds but fuck it.

"Do you smoke cigars?"

"On occasion." I replied before he handed me one and lit it.

"You see Y/LN, in my time I've seen a lot of these medical reports. A lot of people want to fight basketball players just because... well usually they're the biggest bastards in the room. This one is unusual though, no injuries to the hands and do you know what that tells me?"

I shook my head and sipped my whiskey, I wasn't in a hurry and the more I could keep distracted today the better.

"It tells me Y/NN that you didn't fight back. You got jumped by a group of people and didn't land one punch? I don't believe it. Coach is furious because of the new plays we won't get to use now and I don't think you realise how much I dislike listening to that man, he shouts his words all the time. Anyway, I can't have you leave here until I at least know exactly what happened. Come on don't look so worried, I've been here before it's either drugs, gambling, fucking a girl you shouldn't have been or you started the fight. Which one is it?"

He'd have the story but despite the whiskey and meds I wouldn't give him her name. I'm not having her used as some sort of sexy team mascot, never gonna happen.

"It's a girl. It was her Dad, he thought I was hurting her."

"And were you?"

"Fuck no! We'd done it before but she was with someone else."

"No judgement here, I've seen it all."

"Then with all due respect sir, I think if a member of our team is accused of rape we should bring a little judgement into that equation."

"Point taken. Is it over with this girl?"

"No sir, it's only just beginning. She's leaving her boyfriend and then we're moving in together." I coughed as I said it, trying to hide the doubt.

Mila had landed in London with the entirety of her family which made me nervous. I mean, why go and witness the heartbreak? They weren't there for that, they were trying to stop it and no matter how much Mila tried to reassure me over the phone, I couldn't get the niggling feeling out of my head.

"That's a lot of big changes, you've settled and playing consistently at a 12% increase than when we drafted you, I'm not going to see that lost Y/LN."

"I understand sir, I'm not expecting a fleeting thing, I'm hoping this is the beginning of my takeover. I play and feel better when I'm with her."

"You love her?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay." He threw his hands up as if he'd finally grasped the situation. "Is this going to end up in the papers? Have you spoken to your publicist."

"Yes sir, he's aware of the situation. We're awaiting the breakup and then my team will sit down with hers and thrash all of this out."

"Good."