Chapter 27

"Y/NN's here! You actually came!" Mike cheered when I walked into the private bar, his arm around Lauren who looked about as pleased to see me as she would be to see a dentist with a large drill.

Everyone patted my back as I made it to the bar, I'd had a game to be fair. A once in a lifetime, couldn't do anything wrong sort of game that just fell into place with what felt like very little effort. The first game since I found out my baby was on the way and it was a cracker.

"Come on, what's the secret?" Mike asked, he appeared a little drunk but so did Lauren to be fair.

"Just born lucky I guess." I ordered a water, I wouldn't be here for long, just long enough to be seen. I wanted to celebrate with the team but I still had a very important phone call to my mother to make. I'd put it off for a few days but I'd received a text after the game, Mila was back. She'd actually come back this time and not only wanted to meet up but she wanted to organise a meeting with our management teams. I was nervous but thrilled, it was really happening.

"Why don't you tell them?" Lauren spat, pointing her finger at me.

"Tell them what Laur?" I was still smiling at her but it had no effect on her mood.

"Tell them how your so happy Mila's finally trapped you." She'd leant in and whispered but anyone listening intently would have heard, thankfully Mike was not one of them, Mr Abrutzi sat opposite us however...

"Come on Laur, you need some air."

"I fucking don't. Maybe you do Y/N, get some air and come to your senses before she brea-"

"Y/LN I need to talk to you about the youth team visit, walk me out?"

"Yes sir." I drank my water and glared at Lauren, Mike finally noticed something was off but even then didn't pay too much attention.

I didn't mind leaving, I only wanted to show my face and had more important things to do. What the fuck was up with Lauren though? Mila must've told her but last I knew they weren't even speaking.

"You performance tonight." Abrutzi started when reaching the car park. "It's not long until the playoffs and I want that first seed spot but I hate the timing of this. That girl, this performance, apparently you have history so does that explain the spikes?"

"Sir, it's compli-"

"That's the one thing it can't be."

"To be fair sir, I played fucking well for this team tonight."

"You did, can you tell me whatever you've got going on at home is going to be stable enough to repeat it for the playoffs after an already tiring season? I need consistency, that's how we build plays and that's how we make a team. You play like that every game, coach will give you so much back up and defence, people will come to see you alone. Your on the precipice here, don't throw that all away for some pretty girl."

"And baby." I blurted, I think it was just any excuse to tell someone that wasn't my mother.

There was a long pause, he rubbed his forehead and started to pace by his car. Once calmed he straightened out his jacket and picked up his suitcase.

"It is vital you find a way to make this work. Regardless of the game Y/NN, this is big and take it from someone who has six, it'll be the greatest thing you've ever done."

"I hope so." The look of pride on my face could be seen from miles away, who knew I'd be this sappy over something currently the size of a walnut!

"Get your stuff together at home, keep bringing it on the court, couple more months and we're done for the year. Get us through the playoffs. Anything you need, you let me know."