Chapter 71

12 VERY LONG HOURS LATER...

"It's time Y/NN."

I wiped Mila's brow with a cold cloth and kissed her cheek before I looked up. Not that she'd notice right now, poor thing.

"Time for what Sinu?" I asked, standing to relieve the tension in my back where I've been hunched over my girl. It smelt like hospital in here, it made me nervous. I could only associate this smell with pain and fright.

"Time to push."

Mila's arm came up to grab me straight away. The way she sobbed made my heart ache, that frightened look on her face that had never left through this whole thing.

"I can't! I can't Y/NN, there's nothing left. Don't make me do it baby, I can't do it Y/NN, I thought I could but I can't, it hurts so bad."

Don't cry Y/NN, please don't cry in front of her. I knelt by her side and took her hand.

"I know you can do this Mila."

"I fucking can't, I-"

"Nuh uh, listen to me baby." I held her sweaty face in my hands and rested my forehead on hers like I'd done so many times before. "You are going to finish this. You've got this, we're all amazed at you right now. I know you can do this."

"I can't, I can't." She held onto my wrists and shook her head, the tears merging with the beads of sweat falling from her forehead.

I looked at Sinu for some support, words of guidance at least but there was nothing but concern. Maybe she didn't like seeing her baby in pain either? Jesus. Right, tough love here we go.

"That's enough. We've been through this, you got this. You might not be able to do it for yourself or for me but your gonna do this for our little girl. Your the only one that can, you gotta do this for her. Right now Mila."

The shock on her face. I'd tried to be so understanding and caring since her labour began but I don't think she needed that from me right now. Kinda like the morning I rang her in London, she needed me to take the lead, I couldn't do it then but I'll sure as hell do it now.

"Y/NN..."

"Right now Mila."

Looking up at me, the pain and exhaustion evident in every part of her face, she suddenly appeared determined and nodded. Straight away there was a flurry of people moving around, trying to get me out of the way but I promised. I made a promise I wouldn't leave her side and I hadn't.

Removing the pillows off the bed quickly, I jumped behind her, opening my legs so I could fit her between them. Instantly she led back into my chest and took my hands on either side.

Everything faded out, even the pain in my fingers as she pushed as hard as she could. After a couple of bursts she'd lie back into my chest panting, trying to regain the energy to go again.

"One more big one baby, this'll be over soon I promise."

No reply but she stubbornly repositioned and went again. The strength coming from this woman amazed me, I could feel her tense everywhere. Especially her hands and arms which crushed my own every time she put some force into it.

"Oh Mila, the head, the head!" Sinu excitedly squealed from the end of the bed.

"Just the shoulders to go, don't push until the next contraction." The doctor was talking but I couldn't see his face, I couldn't see anything in this position but this was exactly where I was needed right now.

"Hardest part done now baby." I whispered in her ear, I knew she could hear me through her panting just by the way her body moved. "I love you Mila, I'm so proud of you. Let's get this done now baby, let's meet our girl."