Chapter Fifty Six

The locker room felt different, we were at home with the exact same players but there was an undercurrent. A buzz that wasn't altogether enjoyable hummed through the usually quiet, familiar walls.

Silence was the biggest factor, every player including myself needed time to get their head in the game. Find their zone after coach's aggressive pep talk, we'd made it this far, there's no way any of us wanted to fall at the last hurdle now. Unfortunately though, we feared the last hurdle would be the hardest.

"Y/LN!"

Inwardly I groaned, I knew this could only mean that some random celebrity had paid a ridiculous sum of money for me to be introduced to their third cousins wife before the biggest game of my career. It's ridiculous but important to management for the money alone so off I go.

Surprisingly I was greeted by Mr Abrutzi in the corridor. He'd bought a new suit for the occasion and looked very slick but the nerves came through in his mannerisms. Smiling he held a phone out for me.

"Who is it?" I asked quizzically, taking the cell out of his hand. "Hello?"

Cam's: Baby! Listen my signals shit, I'm travelling but I love you Y/NN and I want you to play like winning will bring me back tonight. Win for your girls babe but remember we'll always be there no matter what.

"I fucking love you Mila!" I tried to stop my voice from breaking in front of my boss but it was pointless.

Cam's: I love you too Champ. I really -

The line went dead but I shrugged it off and handed the phone back.

"You ready kid?"

"I'm ready now Sir. Let's do this."

He patted my back and threw his arm around my shoulder. Walking down the corridor to rejoin the team, it honestly felt like we were heading to war.

————————————————————

5

The ball left my hand. The power from my right arm was perfect but the defensive play was tight, my directional left arm didn't have as much room to manoeuvre as I would have liked.

4

As the ball gained air I realised there was nothing more I could do. All the training, the effort, the pain, all culminated into this one throw and I couldn't be sure. I could hope it went in but I couldn't be certain.

3

The ball was at its highest peak and gave nothing away but it looked good. Out of all the baskets I'd ever thrown this was the one. The most important one. The one throw that could put me down in history as a rookie winner with the game shot, or it would be the throw I regret for the rest of my life.

2

It remained pretty central on the way down, spinning as gravity stole the power from it. Watching it fall, I willed it to glide through the net.

1

It hit the left side of the rim, I held my breath and closed my eyes. I was used to nothing but net, the uncertainty made my stomach churn. Silence, no crowd, no teammates and no opposition. All I could see was my girl smiling in our room, holding our baby in her arms while she sings and kissed the top of her head.

Buzzer

Reality smacked in and I opened my eyes which instinctively flew to the scoreboard just in time to see the numbers change before the huge roar of the crowd hit me like the full force of a tsunami. Through the thousands of voices I could have sworn I heard hers. It must have been my imagination because her sweet voice wouldn't be able to carry through this.