Stone cold. Marshall x reader

( art by verylazychild )

It has been a while since William decided to let you live amongst the statues and frankly you were still afraid of most of them. William told Damian to take care of you and be your buddy in case anything went wrong. Damian absolutely hated it, he didn't like talking or company. He constantly let you wander off without losing sight of you. As long as you were in his field of vision everything would be alright.  He hated company but he didn't want to get in trouble for losing you out of sight either.

This time you accidentally lost sight of him again and you got lost in the maze. ''D-damian?'' You found yourself on the other side of the area. Nearing the place you first entered you looked around. You saw  the stone statue you encountered first was missing. You were confused and ran towards it. You stood by the pedestal, thinking. 'Did they lie to me about there not being any more statues?' Then you heard a quiet sob, you were certain that whoever was crying was close. ''H-hello? Who's there?'' You slowly approached and looked around the corner. There was a stone statue in torn clothes. He was curled up, hugging his knees and sobbing.

''H-hey there!'' The statue jumped up and tried to back away from you. You slowly walked towards him, making sure not to scare him by making sudden moves. ''No need to be afraid of me, i won't hurt you.'' He seemed to relax a little and he looked up at you. You could see he had a cracked eye and tears streaming down his face. You kneeled down in front of him and cupped his face. He sniffled and looked you in the eyes. ''Hey there buddy, whats your name?'' You asked him. ''Marshall.'' You smiled. ''Thats a beautiful name! I'm (Y/N)!'' You let go of his face sat opposite of him. Marshall was staring at the ground and shaking. ''So, how come i never saw you before. Besides the first time of course.'' He was muttering under his breath and looked away.

''Well? Come on tell me!'' You grabbed his hand in yours. He stayed silent for a moment, then sighed. ''Richard, Maurits and some of the others locked me out... saying i wasn't worth anything.'' You felt anger boil up. ''W-what!? Those bastards...'' You carefully brushed yur finger against the crack in his face. ''Did they do that as well?'' Marshall slowly nodded before he started to cry. ''H-hey i am sorry... Come here..'' You opened your arms to offer him a hug. He seemed a little suspicious but cuddled up against you. You hugged him and patted him back. ''(Y/n)? (Y/N)!'' You looked around to see Damian stand over you and Marshall, arms crossed and a displeased look on his face. You shot him a death glare and he just raised an eyebrow. ''Why wasn't he protected?'' Damian shrugged. ''Some people didn't know he existed, some hated him, some were too busy and some people like me just didn't want to get involved.''

''Not wanting to get involved? Are you really that self centered?''  Damian scowled and pulled you up. Marshall was on his knees sobbing, refusing to let your hand go. ''I'm not going anywhere UNTILL he is coming with me!'' You were trying your best to kick Damian with little to no result. ''Fine you can keep him, just stop. You look like a toddler.'' Damian put you down and you convinced Marshall to walk with you. He smelled like a wet dog and Damian was sure to keep his distance. Marshall was clinging onto you like his life depended on it. 'Gee, he acts like Frederick. Bet those two will be best friends.' You thought to yourself.

''We have arrived.'' Damian sighed. You walked in only for Bernard to run up to you and Marshall. ''(Y/n)? Are you alright? ...Who is that?'' Bernard looked at Marshall who was busy trying to hide behind you. ''No need to worry!'' Bernard picked up Marshall before frowning. ''My my, i think a bath is well deserved.'' Bernard walked off, carrying Marshall with him. ''Welp time to annoy the living lights out off Damian i guess...'' You mumbled  to yourself.

-timeskip-

Damian was tightly grippin his violin, trying to ignore you. You just gave up and  wanted to leave the room only for the door to nearly slam in your face.'''Hey! What the hell?'' Bernard's eyes widened. ''Oh lady (Y/n), i am so sorry! Please forgive me.'' You hugged him. ''Yeah it's alright! How is Marshall?'' Bernard smiled. ''I kindly asked Maurits to make some new clothes and he took a nice bath, he is all clean with some new clothes!'' Bernard hugged you tightly, causing you to cough. ''Oh no! I am so sorry!'' ''It's fine really.'' You followed Bernard. 'Kindly asked Maurits huh, i don't believe that for one second. Even if Bernard is a sweetheart there is no way Maurits would just agree.' You thought to yourself.

''Marshall!'' Marshall looked up at you, stood up and ran over to you. He smelled nice and someone obviously did his hair too. ''Are you alright?'' Marshall nodded. ''N-no worries, Bernard took g-good care off me.'' You decided to plant a kiss on his cheek. His eye widened and he hid in a corner. He was muttering and covering his face. Bernard smiled and left the room, carefully closing the door behind you two so neither of you noticed. You walked over to Marshall and hugged him. He tensed up but wrapped his arms around you, petting your head. ''No worries buddy, i'll protect you no matter what!'' You looked up at him and kissed him.