Chapter Thirty Five

Minho stepped outside the tent and breathed in the nice ocean air. The wind blowing through his hair, the fresh scent of the salt water fresh to his nostrils, he was where he wanted to be.

Bang Chan, Yongbok, and Minho had gone with a group of men to the ocean waterside where Chan had suggested the visit.

Min-hyung had stayed back to watch over the palace.

There was no way to tell if the Black Mask assassins would also target the Lee royals like they were the Han royals, but it was better to be safe.

Another reason why Minho had left the palace. Min-hyung had insisted he go somewhere safer until the men they had ordered from their home country arrived to help protect not just the Lee royals, but also that of the people living in the Han Palace.

The fresh fish the group had caught yesterday were drying by Yongbok's tent. Minho sat down and started to make a fire. It was better to cook the fish now so that they would be ready when the others woke up.

General Jeon was also already awake, having come with the royals. General Kim from the Han Palace had also tagged along. Minho wasn't sure if the general was sending letters back to the Han Palace about him, but he didn't really care anyway.

He was going to be heading back any day now to greet the new prince into the world. Princess Jeongyeon was about to pop.

And then he would have a nephew, Minho realized as sparks lit and smoke started to pour from starting fire. Not really, since Jisung didn't have any siblings, but the closest it would come for someone on Jisung's side of the family.

Minho laughed out loud, startling General Kim who sat on a log at the other side of the camp. That means that Jisung was his nephew's uncle as well, since Ji-eun had a single son at the moment.

The fire going, Minho pulled the fish from the string they hung from. He set them roasting over the fire before he went off to find his horse. It was time for a good ride.

Running over the sprawling sand hills was not the same as running over the grasslands back at the Han Palace, but it was still nice. Cho enjoyed the ride as usual. Minho let him run wherever he wanted.

The birds were singing in the small trees that stretched over the land as Minho finally pulled Cho to a stop. They were in a small forest now, away from the waterside.

"Walk," Minho ordered softly, urging Cho to walk slowly instead of running through the forest. The tall horses snorted, but did as he was told.

They wandered together for a while, enjoying nature, when Minho heard a call.

"... help..." cried a small voice, through a thicket of trees. "... help!"

Cho's ears twitched as he heard it too, rearing in the air nervously.

"Calm down!" Minho cried as he was nearly thrown off. He jumped off Cho and tied him to a tree before going to investigate.

There, he found a shocking scene.

A young woman trapped underneath a tree, crushing her lower body. A small infant slept at her side.

At least, Minho hoped it was sleeping.

He ran over quickly, finding that the woman's face was drained of color and could hardly call for his aid.

"Stay still," Minho ordered. He searched the area for something to prop under the tree to lift it off her body, but her small, frail hand reached out.

"D-don't!" she cried weakly. "Just listen!"

Minho stared at her. "What are you talking about? We have to get you out of here," he turned around. "Hold on, I'll get some others-"