Chapter Seventy One (Ending)

(Two Months Later)

After a long two months of traveling with his group of men, his only close companions being Cho, of course, and his cousin Yongbok, Minho was very ready to return home.

At the moment, he had just finished his final stop at the last of the five southern countries, re-establishing trade agreements and peace treaties. All the new rulers were somewhat young still, and were ready to agree with anything that Minho proposed to keep out of war with the allied Northern, Easter and Western provinces.

"Are we really leaving?" Yongbok asked as he carried a tray of food into Minho's guest room and set it down on one of the sitting tables. "Are you positive that these alliances are strong enough to stand without you present?"

"We will send people to strengthen them later," Minho murmured as he sat down across from Yongbok and took a long sip of tea from his cup. "I'm tired of being away. I want my family again."

"I'm sure you do," Yongbok nodded sympathetically. "I admire your ability to distance yourself from them for such a long period of time."

"I don't plan on making a habit of it."

"Good," Yongbok passed his cousin a bowl of soup and took his own bowl and rice. "Everything is fine there, right?" he asked as he chewed, glancing up from beneath his brows.

"From what Jisung's letter said, everything is fine," Minho took a sip of the soup as well. "He only urges us to hurry back."

"I'm sure he's busy as well, with all the rebuilding and hurt men to take care of," Yongbok set his bowl down. "It must be hard to be a king."

"I would never want to be one," Minho agreed quietly. He was content just being a prince of his kingdom, but his real worry was about the plan he was creating in his head. He truly wanted to bring the eastern and western kingdoms together to form one solid kingdom, but he wasn't sure how he would do that... yet.

"Stop it. You always get that look on your face these days," Yongbok muttered as he finished his soup. "The hard part is over."

"No, the hard part is just beginning," Minho suddenly stood up from the table and walked over to his desk, taking a piece of parchment out from a drawer as he began to write something on it. "We have to create something better than this."

"Like what?" Yongbok stood up as well and went to read over Minho's shoulder. As he followed Minho's writing, his eyes widened. "You want Yeong to do it?"

"No, I want Jisung and I to do it," Minho was concentrating and spoke very quietly. "But I want Yeong to be recognized as my son, so I am writing to my oldest brother. If he can be recognized as my son, then he will be given the throne."

"But... our oldest cousin Ji-eun has children. Wouldn't they be next?"

"No, since she's a woman and the sitting queen. If she and my brother had children, then perhaps, but that will never happen because they're siblings, she's married, and he loves Lord Jooheon," Minho pointed out. "Min-hyuk Hyungnim doesn't have any children, and neither do Ji-hoon or Min-hyung Hyungnim, so the throne will flow down to me and my son."

"What of Hei-ran?"

"She is a girl," Minho gritted his teeth. "Therefore she will never be allowed her rightful throne... I will do my best to abolish this rule, but if I can't then Yeong is our only hope in uniting the two countries."

"I see..." Yongbok scratched the back of his head and took a few steps back. "Then if that is your plan, I think it will work well for you. And now," he turned around and walked towards the door. "I'm tired from listening to your ramble and I will go to bed now, cousin. Good night."