Telling Links

"It all started when I was about six years old. My mother and father had finally went their separate ways. They had divorced years ago, but they were friends at first. That was until I turned six and my twin brother, Alex, didn't. He was in a car accident three weeks before our birthday.

We were always together. We were best friends, and we took care of one another. Whenever my parents would fight, Alex and I used to pretend that we were on a pirate ship and two captains were battling it out. We would run out in the background, pick up a couple of sticks, and pretend sword fight."

"Sounds like a blast."

"It was. We meant everything to one another. Then, one day my father wanted to take us for ice cream without my mom. I had a fever, so I couldn't go, but I said it was fine if Alex and my father did. Everything was perfect. My parents weren't together, but we were all happy. My mom didn't approve of the ice cream trip because it was about eight o'clock on a school night.

My father didn't care, and the two of them went. On the way there, no one really knows what happened inside the car, but they flipped. Three times down the road and into a side ditch. The car landed on the passenger side, the side my brother was on. The impact killed him instantly. 

My father survived, and he couldn't even look at me. He said I looked too much like Alex. I never saw him after that. My mother turned to sex, drugs, and alcohol. Plus, beating the shit out of me. She abused me for years, about twelve. I finally escaped a couple days ago, but if I know my mother, she'll come looking for me. And that's why I can't stay. I can't risk your safety because of her."

Links places a hand on my shoulder, but this time I only flinch slightly. 

"You're safe here. My men-"

"Your men?"

"Motorcycle club. So, my men and I will care for you. You can stay as long as you like."

"Links. I appreciate it, but I can't do that to you."

"We help those in need around here. Whether or not you like it, you are in need, Eislyn. I'm not about to let you go."

"You're gonna keep me captive?"

"Of course not. And what do you mean captive?"

Links walks around the counter and sits down next to me. I pick up my head to look Links deep in his dark green, hazel eyes. He stares at me, awaiting my answer. I play with the watch. The only thing I have left of my best friend. My only friend. But he's never coming back. I'll never see him again, but I can't help to think that he's still here with me. 

And maybe he is. Maybe he hasn't really left me, he's just not with me.

"Eis? Who's watch is that?"

"Alex's."

"And when you say captive?"

"My mother locked me in a cage in the basement."