Part 3, Chapter 26- Death Eater talks with Snape

It's the day before the final quidditch match and I'm walking through the dungeons on my way to Snape's office to talk to him about my next steps after Hogwarts.

"Just tell him you're not quite sure." Emma says encouraging me.

"I know what I'm going to end up doing though. I'm going to become a death eater because my Uncle won't let me do anything else, then I'm probably going to be matched up with a wealthy pure blood boy and be forced to raise kids and teach them the ideology of the Dark Lord." I snap back at her. Emma's eyes go wide for a moment. "Fuck, I'm sorry Em. Didn't mean to snap like that."

"Just take a deep breath, it's not as bad as you think it's going to be. All he did was grumble when I said I wanted to be a journalist." Walter says trying to cheer me up.

"Yeah and he didn't say anything when I told him about my idea of a witch only broadcast." Emma says. She's back to her usual perky self.

"Okay but those are both genuine ideas. I have literally nothing I'm passionate about."

Emma and Walter look at each other, "You're really good at taking pictures. You have like three books full of pictures of us doing stupid shit." Emma says. She puts her hand on my shoulder and squeezes a little.

We get to the door to Snape's office and I sigh. "Fuck it." I whisper before I knock on the door.

"Enter..." Snape's voice calls from inside. I look at my friends who nod and give me thumbs up before I turn the door handle and step into the room.

His office has floor to ceiling bookshelves on every wall, full of a mixture of books, potion ingredients, and candles. His desk is in the direct middle of the room, three candles in the left corner and a roll of parchment with an ink pot and a quill sit in front of him. Other than that the desk is clean.

Snape sits on a big, black, leather chair behind his desk. He gestures at the empty, identical chair in front of his desk, "Sit down Miss Lestrange... I don't have all day..."

I nod and step deeper into the room, and sit gingerly on the leather chair.

There's an awkward silence, then Snape says, "So... what do you plan on accomplishing in your... life?"

I take a deep breath, "Well, I've learned this year that I am really good at teaching and helping students understand things..."

"So you want to be a Hogwarts Professor." Snape says cutting me off mid sentence.

"I was considering that, but being away from my family for the better part of the year is a little..."

Snape rolls his eyes, "So a tutor? You want to go to houses that have young wizards... to teach them things that their idiot parents can't?"

I don't say anything, I just nod a few times. Snape leans in closer, "You are aware that your family... demands a specific kind of respect amongst wizards correct?"

I nod again, "Yessir. My Uncle Lucius hired a tutor for Draco and I before we started at Hogwarts. I would love to do the same for other families."

Snape nods slowly, "The Malfoys and the Blacks are two of oldest...purest... wizarding families left... That comes with certain responsibilities... are you willing to put those responsibilities over your own agenda?"

I tilt my head a bit in confusion, "You mean... becoming a Death Eater sir?"

Snape leans back into his chair, "In a matter of speaking I suppose..."

It feels like the room drops like ten degrees, I squirm under Snape's cold gaze a little, "Uhm... sorry sir that seems like a personal, family, matter. Not something to be discussed with a professor."