Part 4, Chapter 42- End of Year Feast

The end of year feast is supposed to be exciting, full of joy and happiness and what have you. Not this year though. With our trunks packed, Emma, Walter, and I walk hand in hand to the great hall for dinner.

It's the same sort of energy, no one really talking, no one celebrating anything. We all eat in silence, the Hufflepuffs still have tears streaming down their faces, a few other sixth years are crying to themselves as well. When the plates and food have cleared themselves off Dumbledore rises.

"The end... Of another year." Dumbledore says. Emma grabs a hold of my hand and squeezes it gently. I look across the table at Walter and smile sadly. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight. But first I must acknowledge the loss of a very fine person who should be sitting here." He gestures towards the Hufflepuff table, tears start to fall from my eyes again. Emma sniffles and wipe tears from her face. "Enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

The benches scrape across the floor, everyone takes their glasses and raises them high in the air. Everyone speaks in a low, almost monotone voice, "Cedric Diggory."

We all sit down at the same time again. I use the sleeves of my jumper to wipe my tears off my face. I take a deep breath and look back at Dumbledore.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the quailities which distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

"The hell?" I whisper.

Emma sniffles again, "I don't think I can listen to this." She whispers.

People around us start whispering, looking around in horror, I don't think any of us want to relive the moment. But that doesn't stop Dumbledore.

"The ministry of magic." He starts again, the room goes quiet, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so- either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are."

I feel like I'm going to pass out. Walter reaches over the table and takes my hand. Emma is now fully sobbing. Someone puts their hand on my shoulder and I turn around to look at them. Adrian is holding onto me with one hand, the other hand is clutching onto Miriam. That's when I notice that nearly everyone in my year, everyone that was there at the riots, were holding onto each other. I was right, The Dark Lord has returned.

Draco gets up from his seat a little ways down the table as Dumbledore continues to speak and comes to sit beside me. He leans back onto me like a beck rest and looks back up at Dumbledore.

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedrics death, I am talking of course, about Harry Potter." Dumbledore continues. Everyone turns to look at Harry who is sitting with the Weasleys at the Gryffindor table before looking back at Dumbledore, "Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his life to return Cedrics body to Hogwarts. He showed in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort and for this, I honour him."

Dumbledore raises his goblet again and everyone follow suit. Not many of the Slytherins stand up, me being one of them. I'm doing everything in my power to not have a full fledged breakdown in front of Draco so standing is something that is not the first priority on my list.

"The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened- of Lord Voldemort's return- such ties are more important than ever before." Dumbledore continues. I can barley hear him over the beating of my own heart. All of us are still holding onto each other for dear life at this point. Draco shifts a bit but he doesn't stop leaning on me. "Every guest in this hall, will be welcomed back here, at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again, in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

I look around at my fellow Slytherins and smile. Everyone looks to have had the same idea that I've had. We look around, making eye contact with one another, smiling, nodding, acknowledging our bond with one another. I peer over my shoulder at the Gryffindor table. George is staring right at me, tears streaming down his face. He knows as good as I do that this means that next year, the years following, its going to be different for us, between us. Something that neither of us are prepared for.

"Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." Dumbledore continues. "It is my belief- and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken- that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you, in this hall, have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder."

Draco shifts again, clearly uncomfortable with the last statement that left Dumbledores mouth. "You alright?" I whisper into his ear. He nods once and I rest my chin on the top of his head.

"Remember Cedric. Remember if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy..." Dumbledore glances at the Slytherin table, we make eye contact for a split second before he looks back to the crowd, "Remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."