Part 4, Chapter 31- Fred's Emotionally Stunted, But we already knew that

February twenty-fourth, the second Triwizard task. Our herbology class that takes place Friday afternoons was cancelled so we could all be there to support the champions. We haven't seen much of Fred and George today, both of them have been running around the school taking bets from people.

"You and George talk about serious stuff, right? Like he knows everything about you and you know everything about him?" Emma asks me as we are walking down to the lake to watch the second task.

"Yeah course. It took a bit to get to that point I suppose but we've always told each other everything no matter what." I look at Emma and I can tell that she is deep in thought. "Are you and Fred alright?"

"Yeah, I think. He never really tells me anything important though. Just that he thinks I'm pretty and then we kiss a lot."

"Fred and George are very different people and it took me a while to get to know both their personalities. Fred's got a big wall up around him, and once you get past that wall there's another, and another, and another. He's got a hard time trying to tell people things that aren't jokes."

Emma sighs, "It's not what I thought it would be. Dating him. I thought it would be like you and George, you're perfect for each other."

We get to the lake shore and start to climb up one of the two towers that has been set up for the event. "Just don't give up on him. Fred means well and I really don't want to see him get hurt... But also I don't want to see you get hurt either... How about you don't hurt each other?"

Emma laughs, "Right yeah thanks Violet."

"Oi! Over here!" Walter calls. He and Lee are sitting on the third floor of the tower, they've got their things on four other seats in the same row as them.

Emma and I walk over to them. I give both Walter and Lee a peck on the cheek. "So do we know what this one is actually about?" I ask the boys.

"Ron said that he was asked by McGonagall to participate. Something about being tied under the water and waiting for rescue. He and Hermione both were taken out of the common room early this morning."

"If Snape ever asked me to be tied down under water waiting for someone to save me I would laugh in his face." I say.

"Dunno, it might be romantic. Fred risking his life to save mine and all." Emma sighs.

I look at her with my face full of disgust, "But your life wouldn't be in danger. The people the champions have to save are probably all under some sort of enchantment that makes it totally safe for them to be under water for so long. If Fred was competing there would be a very good chance that he could die."

Emma rolls her eyes and mumbles 'your no fun' under her breath. Someone puts their hands over my eyes from behind me and I jump. I know its George by the way he smells though so I smile instantly.

"How'd it go?" I ask him.

He doesn't bother walking all the way around so he just jumps over the empty seat he's standing behind and plops down in it. He kisses me quickly and smiles, "As long as Harry doesn't win again we're laughing."

"How many bets does Harry have?" Emma asks. She looks at Fred when she's talking but its George that responds

"Hundred and fifty. His performance in the first task clearly won over the hearts of the school. Cedric's sitting at seventy which is a pretty intense drop from the last task."

"Good for Harry I suppose." Walter says.

"If Harry wins then we only walk out with ten galleons. If Cedric wins we walk out with a hundred seventy." George explains.

"And if Fleur wins we walk with two hundred and ninety. So let's hope she does better than she did last time." Fred says happily.

"Fred mind helping me with something really quick?" I ask him. Everyone sort of looks at me strangely but Fred nods and we head down the tower together.

"Whats up? Did George do something to you? Do I have to talk some sense into the fucker?" Fred says as soon as we are alone.

"What? No nothing like that. I wanted to ask how things are with Emma?"

Fred nods, "Oh." He leans back on one of the pillars that are holding the tower up, "I dunno. I thought it would be different than it is. When we were friends she was this great person, super easy to talk too and everything. But as soon as we started hanging out? Cause I haven't asked her to be my girlfriend yet..."

"You haven't?"

Fred shakes his head, "No I haven't. I want to take things sort of slow with her cause if we end up dating, she would be my first ever girlfriend and I don't want to fuck it up. And George and I are swamped with trying to get ministry approval on things that I don't think I even have time to figure out my real feelings for her you know?"

I sigh, "I get it. Feelings are hard. I still have trouble with telling people how I'm feeling. Half the time its George who notices how I'm feeling first and he tells me what he thinks. Only then do I notice."

"George is good like that. He does the same to me." Fred smiles, "Dunno how I was the one that ended up emotionally stunted instead of him but whatever." Fred yawns and stretches his arms above his head, "I wish I could talk to Emma the way I talk to you. But I guess its because there's no pressure to be a certain way when I'm talking to you cause you're dating my brother and everything."

I put my hands in the pockets of my long black coat, "I think you just think that there is a certain pressure on you when it comes to Emma because we've all been pushing for you two to get together for so long. I'm sorry about that."

Fred stands up from the pillar and wraps me in a big hug, "You're the one that helped me step out of my shell a bit, don't be sorry for that." He says. His voice vibrates through the ear that is pressed against his neck.

"I know its going to sound cheesy and everything. But try just talking to her like you talk to me. No pressure, no reason to feel awkward or uncomfortable." I pull away from him and smile a bit.

"What if she doesn't like who I really am? The only people that truly know me are you and George honestly."

I put both my hands on his shoulders, "Then she's not the person for you. I love Emma with my entire being but if she ever makes you feel that you have to hide a certain part of you then you have to walk away."

Fred nods a couple times so I know that he understands what I'm saying, "How did George manage to land a girl like you?"

I laugh and take my hands off his shoulders, "I don't even think he knows the answer to that question."

Music starts to play and the crowd that's gathered into the towers start to cheer. "Sounds like the second task is starting." I take Freds hand in mine and we walk back up to our seats again.

Fred sits beside Emma and puts his arm around the back of her chair. I take my seat beside George. I curl up into my big jacket and rest my head on his shoulder. He puts his arm around me and squeezes me once, "Everything alright?"

"Your brother is a very emotionally stunted man." I whisper.

George laughs, "I know that much. But is he alright?"

I peer over at Fred and Emma who are leaning their heads together and I smile, "He's gonna be fine."

George kisses the top of my head and I can feel him breathe out in relief, "Thank you. For looking out for him like you do." He whispers.

"Course. That's what family is for."