Part 7, Chapter 11- All My Fault

Emma and I help Percy bring Fred's body down the stairs. I keep watch to make sure no one is going to attack as we do it. Emma's wails are all I can hear, she keeps begging him to wake up, saying that she loves him, that she's in love with him.

Percy's sobs are quieter, silent almost, "It's all my fault. It's my fault. I did this to him. I was such a fucking asshole and now he's dead. My brother is dead." He chokes on his words.

I can't listen to it, I refuse to listen to it. My entire body is screaming, begging itself to just stop, to lay beside Fred and fall asleep. Tomorrow it'll be fine, it'll just be a bad nightmare, I keep telling myself.

We manage to get down the stairs, Percy says that they'll be bringing the dead into the great hall so that's what we do. The people in there, broken, hurt, dead. I can see Molly and Arthur on the other end of the room. They've got George sitting in front of them, Molly's cleaning a bad cut he's got on his face.

George sees me first. He pushes past his mother in the nicest way possible and comes running over to us... he slows... he stops... he sees Fred's lifeless body floating in the air beside Percy and Emma. He falls to the ground. He screams.

Molly and Arthur spin around and look at us. Molly screams. She comes running over to us and helps Percy get Fred to the floor. She doesn't stop screaming. It feels like I've failed them, I've failed their whole family. My best friend is dead.

George pushes past all of us and throws himself on top of his brother, screaming like I've never heard anyone scream before, crying like I've never seen anyone cry before. Molly falls to her knees and strokes George's back while holding her dead son's hand in hers. Arthur is standing by his feet, pale as a ghost, lifeless.

"You," George says. He looks from his brother and at me. His eyes full of hate, his face twisted in anger and grief, "You promised!" He shouts.

I stumble backwards at his words, Emma stands from her spot on the floor and comes beside me, "George..." His mother whispers.

George stands up and steps towards me, "You promised that nothing would happen to the people you love, you said you were on our side!" His words cut deeper than anything that has ever been said to me, "We never should have let you into our compartment on the first day. You've done nothing but bring destruction. You killed my fucking brother!" He raises his wand at me.

Emma shoves herself between the two of us. I don't have the strength to pull my wand out, I'm staring at George but he's not George anymore, he's a shell. A shell of anger and fear and grief.

"Georgie..." I whisper.

"I never want to see you again. I want you gone, out of my life." He spits, literally spits at my feet. "Fuck you." He screams before going back to his family and falling on top of Fred's body once more.

I feel like I'm going to faint like my soul has just decided to leave my body and head back to the Manor without the rest of me. Emma, with tears still falling down her face comes over to me and pulls on my arm gently, "Come on..." She whispers, "We've got to find Wally and Lee."

We start to jog out of the great hall but it's quiet like all the Death Eaters have gotten up and left. Clarissa comes jogging towards us from the dungeons, "They're gone. They're all gone. Except for us. You didn't get a signal did you?"

I shake my head no but don't say anything. My brain hurts, my entire body is sore. George's words bounce around my head 'you've brought nothing but destruction' plays a hundred times over. It's only when Emma pulls on my arm a bit that I snap back into attention.

"Let's go get them out of the common room, we'll take them out the front," Emma whispers.

I nod and I follow Emma and Clarissa mindlessly down into the dungeons. Clarissa opens the common room door and we step inside. She shouts something to get everyone's attention but I can't hear it. I don't think I can hear anything but George's voice, 'I never want to see you again'

'you killed my fucking brother'

'I want you gone, out of my life'

He spat at me. Like I was nothing like I was less than nothing.

Draco wraps his arms around me and it pulls me back to reality. He's got a black eye but I don't bother asking where he's got that. I don't think I can ask.

"Are you alright?" He whispers into my ear.

I don't move, I don't say anything. Emma explains to him what happened as we walk out of the common room and towards the front of the school. I can feel Draco squeeze my hand but my brain doesn't acknowledge it.

I killed Fred.

No, what are you saying? You didn't kill Fred.

If I just left Draco...

You didn't know Draco was okay, he could have been dead. Then how would you feel right now?

But Draco was fine... Fred needed me more...

You didn't know Draco was fine, he could have been dying. You needed to protect him first. He's your priority.

I killed Fred.

Shut up.

I killed Fred.

Shut up.

We walk past the great hall again. I glance inside, there's a massive group of red-haired people clutching at each other, sobbing, I can hear their screams.

It's my fault, I killed Fred.

SHUT UP!

People see us walking out of the castle and they think that we know something, we don't, we don't know a single thing. How should we? We're only children. This was not our war. We were played like a game of wizard chess. Used as pawns to get what the Dark Lord desired most. The Death of a child.