Part 4, Chapter 27- Yule Ball Preparation

Finally, Christmas.

I still haven't asked George to the ball and he hasn't asked me. Which means that I'm going 'solo' despite Walters pleas to just suck it up and ask him.

"I don't want to see you two start fighting in the middle of the ball. It's supposed to be a happy occasion." Walter says, fiddling with his bowtie.

I tie it up for him and pat his chest, "He's not going to fight with me. Not with how I'm going to look tonight."

"Best go off and get changed then," Walter says to me. He turns to look at himself in the mirror that's propped up on the wall in his dorm room. "Lee's supposed to be dropping off a boutineer for me soon. He says its something that all couples must wear or whatever."

"That's adorable," I say from behind him.

Walter straightens out his dress robes. It's definitely interesting to see him all dressed up, he looks really posh. "Men's robes are always so boring. They're all either black or brown."

"Have Emma do your makeup. She's doing mine."

Walter looks at me through the mirror. "Yeah alright. Go get changed for Christ sakes and I'll meet you in your dorm so Emma can do my makeup."

I stand up from the trunk that I was sitting on and peck Walter on the cheek, "Lee's a lucky man Clarence." I say to him.

"Can't say the same about George, given you're too pig-headed to ask your own boyfriend to a ball." He calls out after me as I leave his dorm.

I walk into my own dorm. Clarissa, Miriam, and Emma are already in their gowns and putting the final touches on their makeup and hair. They all look at me as I enter the room, still wearing my pyjamas.

Clarissa is wearing an emerald green, skin tight gown. Her blonde hair pulled up in a sleek ponytail. Miriam on the other hand is wearing a silver mermaid style gown, the train of her dress is attached to her hand by a little ring, making the dress move whenever she does. The colour of her dress is nearly perfect on her tanned skin. She looks at me and nods once before going back to pruning her reflection.

"You're joking right? Get your dress on!" Emma shrieks. She's already got her dress on, her makeup is finished, and she's adding a braid to the top of her hair.

I unzip the dress bag and start to change. I have Emma help me with the zipper on the back. The skirt is a lot bigger than I remember it being in the store. I turn and look at myself in the mirror. Emma claps her hands together and sighs, "You look so pretty! George is going to faint when he sees you looking like this."

She sits me down on my bed and pulls out all her makeup and brushes and things and starts literally painting my eyelids. She hums while she does it and I'm not sure if she even realizes that she's doing it.

I hear a knock on the dorm room door and we all look over at it at the same time. Draco is standing there in his robes, but of course, his tie isn't done up. He's also holding a package in his hands. I nod him in and he comes over to where Emma and I are.

"Walter told me to give this to you. Apparently George gave it to Lee to give to Walter to give to you but Walters still fussing in his dorm." Draco passes me the poorly wrapped package.

It has a note on the top,

For my girlfriend who's not my date because she never asked me. Maybe I shouldn't be giving you this at all.

I smile at the note and place it carefully on the bed beside me. I pull on the twine and it all unravels, I pull off the brown paper and gasp. Inside is a beautifully crated corsage. It has red roses with black leaves in the center with small white flowers surrounding it. There's also another note.