Part 5, Chapter 11- The Memories of Cedric Diggory

Fred and George don't walk with us to Charms, they ran out of breakfast early no doubly trying to sell a few of their joke things before class. We do, however, meet up with Lee and head out to Charms together.

"Did the boys get their signs done?" I ask Lee. He's hand in hand with Walter and giggling about something that Wally just told him.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, they put one up on the Gryffindor common room but Hermione tore it down. They've got a few other ones that they've managed to get people to put in their common rooms. Surprised they haven't asked you to put one in with the Slytherins yet."

As if on cue, Fred and George turn a corner and come up to us smiling, "Just made twenty galleons!" Fred says happily shaking a coin purse above his head.

"Hey, beautiful," George says coming up to me and pecking me on the cheek.

"What were you two selling this time?" Walter asks the boys.

Fred falls in line with us, walking beside Lee, George squishes between Emma and me so he can have his hand in the back pocket of my trousers. "Extendable Ears! We've just created them, they work wonders if you're trying to listen in on meetings that you're not allowed to be apart of." Fred says.

"Five galleons per ear! Really one of my most favourite products we have at the moment. Useful little buggers they are." The charms classroom door isn't open yet when we get there so we mill around outside of it.

"So you've only sold four?" Emma says looking at Fred with a distasteful look on her face.

"Only sold four in the past half hour yeah. Sold ten of them last night in the common room much to our Prefects dismay." Fred says, even Emma's comments can't tear him out of the happy mood he's in right now.

"And by Prefects, he means just Hermione. Ron would rather die than try to tell us what to do." George says.

"Who the hell made Ronald a Prefect?" I ask the boys.

They both shrug, "Dunno but mums over the moon about it, 'That's everyone in the family!' like George and I just live next door and come round for dinner." Fred says with a huff of air.

"Oi if you're going to steal my joke at least say it properly," George says to his brother.

"My way sounds better."

George rolls his eyes, a definite habit that he's picked up from spending so much time with me, "Yours is so long-winded, mine got right to the point 'next-door neighbours' see? Simple and effective."

"Why the sudden need for recognition?"

"It's my joke!"

"Oh right I forgot, it takes you about four months to come up with a new joke so I better give credit where credit is due."

George sticks his tongue out at Fred and Fred does it right back. "You two are children," I say laughing.

"You sound like mum." Fred says smiling, "What's so wrong with being childish? We all need to laugh, especially recently."

Flitwick opens the classroom door and we file in, taking up residence in the back of the classroom like we did last year. The rest of the class slowly appears, it looks like everyone is taking the same seats as they did last year. There's one empty desk though, the second row from the front, three desks to the right, Cedric's old desk.

Flitwick turns around to face everyone, "Right then." He starts, he looks at the empty desk and stops talking for a moment, the room gets uncomfortable. It feels like we've lost Cedric eons ago but it's only been two months. Hufflepuff students Bethany and Katherine excuse themselves from the room for a moment.

Flitwick blinks and looks out to the entire class, "I know, that we are missing someone in our class. Someone that should be here, answering all my questions and making sure that no one falls too far behind. And I am so dreadfully sorry that you lost one of your own."

George reaches across the gap between our desks and holds onto my hand, I know that he still feels awful for the things he said to and about Cedric before he passed. I stroke my thumb up and down his hand slowly.

"But it wouldn't be fair to Cedric, for you all to give up on your studies. I expect you to work hard this year, harder than you ever have in this class, and make sure that Cedric's memory lives on through all of you. You must graduate from Hogwarts because his chance at graduating was taken from him."

Bethany and Katherine come back into the room, their eyes are puffy, their noses red. Flitwick waits for them to be seated to continue, "Take out your parchment and quills, today is a lecture class, I want you to write down exactly as I say. Blue sparks!"

The room is full of shuffling noises as people try to get their things out as fast as possible. My eyes drift over to Cedric's empty desk. I can almost hear his laugh echoing throughout the classroom. I shake myself out of it and dip my quill in my inkpot.

"Not any different from red sparks honestly, dunno why we have to have a whole section on blue sparks when you've learned about red sparks before but nevertheless." Flitwick continues, "Blue sparks, or well any spark, can be used as a way to warn someone, to spread information quickly between large distances, and also in minor duels as a form of stunning method. And given you've all learned about how to use them in a casual setting I believe I may focus on using this charm in a defensive, or rather, offensive way this year."

Three and a half hours later the bell rings signalling its time for lunch. My hand is sore from holding onto my quill so tightly. Everyone starts to pack their things up, till Flitwick taps his wand on his desk, "I know that you all are very tired from your summer holidays and still emotionally drained from last year's events. However, I do need one and a half feet of parchment on the difference between red and blue sparks completed by the next class. Enjoy your lunch."

Everyone finishes packing their things and we all head out of the classroom, "We're going to have a Cedric Diggory speech in every one of our classes aren't we?" Emma says once we are out of the classroom and walking down the corridor.

"I still can't believe it's only been two months since..." Lee says. Walter puts his arm around Lee's shoulders and kisses his cheek.

"He was in all five of my classes, it doesn't feel right to continue without him you know? It's like, someone should be taking notes for him so he doesn't fall behind." I say. Everyone nods in agreement and doesn't say anything for the rest of the walk to the great hall for lunch.