Fireworks and Fire Escapes

Summary: In which, Ricky and Nini bring in the new year after sneaking off from the rest of the party and talk about their resolutions. The new year is starting to look like it'll be the start of something new between the pair.

*Rini fluff*

***********************************************

The time was 11:20 pm.

The streets of Salt Lake City were mostly empty with the exception of the people clubbing and setting up for the firework show at midnight.

Ricky and Big Red's apartment was more lively than expected, considering it was less than ten people within the small living room. It shouldn't be all that shocking since their friends have always been a rowdy bunch and heavy partiers.

Big Red and Ashlyn had been heavily flirting on the couch with a half empty bottle of champagne on the coffee table. Carlos, Seb, and Kourtney had been cheering on Gina and EJ chugging down as much of the keg as possible after Gina challenged him to a duel.

Ricky had been pretty quiet in his seat as he sipped on bourbon. And last but not least, Nini had been standing in the kitchen watching her friends antics from the distance. Nini had her fair share of drinks and was a little light headed, but she wasn't gone yet.

She felt herself dozing off a little as she rested her head on her fist on the counter. She's awakened by the sound of a bottle loudly slamming on the table. She looks up to see her long time best friend with a smile on his face.

"You interrupted my nap."

"Oh please, like you would've gotten any sleep with all the ruckus."

"You're speaking to the girl who slept through a fire alarm twice."

"I hate when you remind me of that. That's definitely not a good thing to sleep through."

She smirks. "Awe, you do care."

He rolls his eyes teasingly. "Speaking of fires..."

"I thought you didn't wanna talk about fires." She interrupts with a playful smile.

"Anyways, I was thinking of going up the fire escape to get a break from the party. It's getting a little claustrophobic to me. Also, we could see the fireworks really well up there. What do you say?"

She glanced back at her friends to see them all giggling or dancing fiercely as they let their drunken state take over. They wouldn't notice if two people left, and she figured she wouldn't miss much anyways.

"Are you bringing that bottle of champagne up?"

"Yep, and I snagged a few snacks." He held up a bag of chips and a few candy bars.

"Let's go before they realize you stole the last bag of bbq chips."

"Good call."

He opens the window to the fire escape and lets her exit first. He follows her up the stairs until they finally get to the rooftop. Nini walked over to the edge to see the city from below. She admires how breathtaking the view was with all the colorful lights and stunning horizon.

She looks over her shoulder to see Ricky already sitting on his jacket that he laid out for the both of them with the bottle and snacks in front of him. She skipped over to him and sat hip to hip with him.

She noticed he had been staring into space, which is something he did when he was deep in thought. She rested her chin on his upper arm, making him break his trance.

"Have you ever had a New Year's resolution?" He asks randomly.

She scrunched her brows as she tried to recall if she ever had but came up empty handed. "No, actually. I guess I never tried to make them since I figured I wouldn't go through with them anyways."