Chapter 19: Behind the Palace

Jennie walked away. Walked away from the crowd that remained to follow her. Their gaze was lingering on her every step. And she didn't mind them.

Even if a billion people were to look at her, she wouldn't feel a thing, it was just because of that one person's gaze that made her feel like her legs were slowly giving up on her.

She didn't do anything wrong. But why did it feel like she committed such a delinquent crime.

The fuming anger on his eyes made her heart skip a beat. And not the good kind.

She didn't understand why he was so mad. She didn't even know if he was mad at her, at the situation, or at Seulgi, but a portion of her concluded that he was mad at her.

Walking outside and heading to the fields and onto the marble opening towards the art gallery building, she saw Seulgi following her.

"I don't know what you think is happening Jennie, but-" Seulgi starts.

"He's backing away from your agreement isn't he?" Jennie says.

"If you mean the engagement then you're completely wro-"

"I'm talking about your deal of trying to break the engagement off together, but he's backing away from it now, isn't he? He's choosing to remain engaged and marry you right?" Jennie says.

"How did you know-" Seulgi replies with surprise.

"That fucking coward" Jennie mutters under her breath.

"Wait, if you knew, then why didn't you just tell me, why act as if you didn't understand? What the hell?" Seulgi replies.

"Because your plan would've been too obvious. You, suddenly raging in here as his fiancée, screaming, people are gonna talk and before you know it, your plan won't succeed if it gets to the elders" Jennie replies.

"So you were willing to tarnish your reputation and get slapped for that? You should've just told me, Jennie" Seulgi replies feeling embarrassed.

Jennie has known Seulgi since they were teens and despite seemingly not getting along on the outside, they actually were good friends, especially Jisoo and Seulgi. Seulgi had to place on a mask, a spoiled bitch mask to get away from her spot of being heir, she didn't want it.

They were good friends, well they were, until they heard of the engagement. And since Jennie and the others were closer to Rosie, of course they made no contact with Seulgi, especially since the news of the engagement was abrupt and crucial. And the lack of connection lead to them being strangers once again.

"The show would've been greater if you had slapped me, because then people would talk about it and the more they won't make you the heir, it would give you a reason to slap me if I started saying shit unlike if you're the only one screaming by yourself and besides I needed some good hard ass slap to knock some sense into my head" Jennie responds with a snicker.

"I get that you have good intentions jen, but at least tell me before you start doing those types of shit" Seulgi replies back.

"Just tryna help here. anyway why don't you want to be the heir? Is it really that bad to be one?" Jennie asks.

"I don't wanna be pulled down for the rest of my life to do things under somebody's command. I want to be free, far from the spotlight and simply happy" Seulgi replies. Jennie understood her and yet she still felt some type of anger towards Seulgi considering how the whole love triangle scenario happened.

"Kinda hard doing that when you're engaged to Park Jimin" Jennie replies and a small grin appeared after, which then was followed by Seulgi's surprised face and then soft smile.