01 the journal

"AKAASHI!" Exclaimed Fukurodani's emotional-wreck-of-an-ace, running towards his friend who was too occuppied, staring at the girl sitting on the bench right outside their volleyball gym. "You're staring too much." Cooed the third year.

Akaashi Keiji faces Bokuto Koutaro with his normal stoic face and sighed. "I'm not."

Bokuto gave a sly smirk, putting his arm around the second-year whom he considers his best friend. "Come on, Akaashi. You've been crushing on our little journalist for a year now! Why can't you make a move and make things exciting?!" Whined Bokuto.

Akaashi pushes Bokuto's arm away from his shoulder, giving his focus back on their other teammates who were practicing their serves and spikes. "Because she isn't interested in relationships, and she doesn't like me."

"You aren't sure of that! You haven't even asked her out yet!" Protested his friend, earning a shaking motion from Akaashi's head. "I don't want to. Not with me having to deal with you all the time."

Bokuto pouts at his friend's words, walking to one of the chairs and sulking.

Akaashi Keiji has had a lowkey crush on his classmate, Y/n L/n since the first year they attended Fukurodani Academy. But he finds themselves very... different from one another. She liked reading and writing; he liked volleyball. She liked going out and exploring, he liked being alone. He'd convinced himself that he could never have a chance on someone who shined so exceedingly bright among others. He thought that she would go well with Bokuto, not him.

But Bokuto thought otherwise. He as well had known Y/n since her beginning years of high school in Fukurodani. He believed she and Akaashi would look so good together, which is why he always pushed his friend to ask her out, but he always ended up backing down or chickening out. He never once tried mustering up the courage to ask her out again, after that one incident in the cafeteria, where he'd completely made a fool out of himself just to get her attention. 

You comfortably sat on the bench, looking in the gym from outside. You had your legs crossed, a sketchpad on your thigh and a pencil on your right hand, sketching out the features of the setter from the boys' volleyball club. How you admired him so. You loved his mysterious aura and how he doesn't talk to much people other than his friend, Bokuto.

You always wondered when you'd muster up even the tiniest bit of courage to talk to him, but it never happened. And so, you admired him from afar. A good amount of distance from him was enough for you. Besides, you'd been seeing him and sitting beside him everyday in class since your first year of high school.

After quietly finishing your sketch, you stood up and headed to the journalists' room for the meeting they had every 5 pm. Not noticing you had left your diary, you rushed through the not-so-crowded halls before making a halt outside the door.

-

Akaashi had bid his goodbyes to his teammates, explaining to them that he had to hurry home for their family dinner. He didn't want to be tardy knowing his mother would be displeased. He still had a train to catch, and from the looks of the dark clouds in the sky, it was about to rain.

Passing by the bench that Y/n once sat on, he noticed a thick journal sitting on it. He didn't notice when Y/n left, or if anyone sat on the bench after her. Walking towards it and picking it up, he noticed how there were not a name on the front page or the back, but he did notice the beautifully written "Diary" on the top left corner. He decided not to open it, in respect of the owner's secrets that were written there.

Akaashi hurried home, hoping the rain wouldn't catch him before he arrived.

-

yes, 15-yr-old me, this was kinda dull.

Edited: May 3, 2024