Glass Heart - Chapter Three

All Izuku saw was darkness.

The warm protective feeling that was curled around his body has now gone, and Izuku felt nothing but loneliness. He gently grew colder, eventually brushing his hands against his arms to try and manually warm himself.

Is this how it feels to die? Izuku asked himself. Unlike his past, the darkness didn't seem to surround and control him, as he thought it would. It surrounded him yes, but not in an uncomfortable, claustrophobic way. It was more... supportive. Like a kind presence, making itself known. As Izuku realised that, the icy cold started to thaw, and Izuku was gradually able to remove his numb hands from his arms.

It seems... I can control it? Izuku thought. I remember reading about this when researching hospitals and medical information... I figured it'd help to know about the people and places healing me if I chose to become a hero... I think I'm in... a self-induced coma?

It made sense - with his horrendous life behind closed doors, Izuku didn't think he'd live long anyway: even without his suicidal intent.

Izuku remembered the last interaction he had with his father... While there's many cold shoulders as they got ready at similar times and lived in the same house, there's not many actual conversations. However last week... it was the anniversary of Inko's death. Hisashi had spent ages making food for her grave, and Izuku had searched far and wide for her favourite flowers in the nearby meadow.

Once gathering them, he went back inside and grabbed his green cloth that he'd bought a few days prior, and tightly wrapped the flowers in that. And then, without talking, they'd gone to her grave together.

It was incredibly surreal. His father - who beat him whenever Izuku angered him - was sitting next to him in peace as they arrived to her grave. He said nothing, as Izuku lay the flowers on her grave, and Hisashi placed the small box of cooked food at the base. They scrubbed the stone until it shone, and they stayed there, praying, and remembering her until the sky grew dark and the stars began to shine.

Izuku wished he could hold a star. That he could shine as brightly as one, and bring hope to those who wished as hard as he once did. He's sure no matter what happens - that his mother will always be watching him.

He just wanted to see her again - and escape from this brutal world.

Even though I wish I were... I don't think I'm dead... Izuku thought. I remember Eraserhead catching me - although I don't remember much after that. I can only assume that the warm presence was him, holding me in his arms. I wonder why they aren't there now?

As he was deep in thought, he spotted a small ray of light to his left. It looked inviting - but also dangerous. It spiralled around him, and then formed a door - ready for him to walk through. On the other side - his right, there was a shadowy light that also formed a door, but while it was made of shadows - it still seemed more... real. Small petals floated down to the bottom of the doorway of shadows, small sparks of hope, small glimmers at what life may hold for him - if he chose to return.

O - oh... I guess it's time to decide? Should I stay, or go? Izuku thought. I really miss mom, and I'm sure whatever is waiting for me would be wonderful. But... should I really give up on humanity this easily?

A spark of light from the glowing door removed itself and flew to Izuku, circling him and then landing on the floor. Once it landed - it grew. It grew until it took the form of Inko, his mother.

Izuku felt tears well up in his eyes as he looked at her, smiling at him.

"M - Mom!"

"Hi Izuku. I've missed you."

"Mom, I... you left, and I - I thought...!"

"I know dear and I'm so sorry for that. I left you there for so many years. I was so afraid. I know me being afraid shouldn't be an excuse, and that you deserve better, but it's all I can say. I never once forgot about you. I had been planning to help you - genuinely I had been. You're my son, and I want you to experience all the kindness the world has to offer."

"B - But I'm quirkless."

"I know dear, and I shouldn't have let my fears stop me from putting you first. I promise you, I've been watching you this year, ever since I died. All I want is for you to be happy."

"So you want me to come with you?" Izuku asked, glancing at the glowing door once again.

"Not really. I want you to be happy. And right now, you won't be happy with me." There's an amazing future out there for you, I know it. I believe that fate won't let you die so easily. I want you to live, Izuku. Live, please. Experience the world - the kind people, the beautiful flowers, the tasty food. Find those people in the world that truly care about you. And no - I'm not talking about your father."

"Mom... are you real?" Izuku asked, tears rolling down his cheeks. The sparking, golden version of Inko knelt down to him, lifted her hand, and cupped his cheek, wiping away his tears.

"That's for you to decide, Izuku."

She stood back up and glanced between the two doors.

"Where are you going, Izuku? I promise whichever you choose, I'll be with you."

Instead of proclaiming his choice, Izuku gave Inko a hug. He had forgiven her, for everything. It may seem very quick, but this is something Izuku had hoped for - a chance to reconcile - and after her untimely death, he really didn't think he would have the chance. In a situation like this - was there any reason to focus on the negatives? All Izuku had left with her wasn't anger. Or sadness. Or fear.

He had love.

"I love you, mom. Goodbye."

And as he turned and walked through the shadowy door, he heard Inko's voice whisper from behind him, echoing in his mind as he opened his eyes:

"I love you too."

Okay, chapter three is done! It's so weird, I'm listening to sad music as I write this so I think it's affecting what I write lol - I never planned for this, but I really like it. I also keep changing the previous chapters to fit more information in haha. It'll be nice to finally publish them (writing the first five in advance), and not be able to change it anymore.

PEACHY FROM THE FUTURE HERE! I know I'm only supposed to update every Sunday but I couldn't help it! I just really wanna update this story so bad XD

I hope this doesn't come back to bite me but I'm sure it'll be fine haha.

I'll see you guys in the next chapter!

But for now...

Peachy out! 😊