Chapter 36

Jimin has been walking around the last couple of days, not really knowing what to do with himself or his head for that matter. Thoughts have been running and running around like crazy, making it totally impossible for him to get any sort of rest.

When he reached the point where his fathers started commenting on the bags under his eyes and his constant bad mood, he chose to take the matter into his own hands. If his grandparents are still alive, they might know what happened to his mother. How will he contact them? Well, he grabbed that note that he found back in his parents' room and as he expected, the list of names also had some very important ones. 

Ah-seung and Chan-woo Park. At first, Jimin didn't really think much about those names but when he saw their profiles he notices they were the only ones who were over the age of 50 years old. This note just seems to contain a lot of names that somehow have to do with Jungkook and Taehyung's past, also names of some of their high school friends and enemies. It's very suspicious. 

So right now, Jimin is sitting on the floor, looking at the note with the number he found on the internet that might actually be his only contact with his lost family. He has never been in contact with Jungkook's parents, simply because they didn't want to have anything to do with him, they said that out loud and clear. But these people have never contacted him and he wonders why.

After biting his lip and debating for over 20 minutes if this really is a good idea or not, he dials the number. Jungkook and Taehyung are at work right now, so he can talk loud and clear without them getting curious. 

He impatiently listens to his phone beep slowly as he waits for someone to pick up. He's incredibly nervous somehow, he doesn't really know why. Maybe it's because he's scared his grandparents don't want to have anything to do with him. 

Suddenly, someone picks up. "Hello?" a small voice says into the phone and Jimin almost jumps in surprise.

"H-Hello? Is this Ah-seung?" Jimin asks, considering it's a female voice that spoke back to him. The line goes silent for a little while before the lady replies with a 'yes? Can I help?'

"I'm calling because... umm," Jimin struggles with the words. How do you just tell someone that 'hey, I'm your grandchild by the way?'

"Are you there?" the lady asks again as Jimin doesn't reply for a while and the boy quickly clears his throats.

"Y-Yes. I'm here. I'm calling because I think I might... I might be your g-grandchild... I think?" he stutters out. Now, it goes deadly silent on the other line. Jimin has to remove the phone from his ear and check if the call is still going. With a frown, he sees that it's still running so he places the device back and asks if his grandmother is still there. Oh no, it's probably because she doesn't want to talk to him or something.

What if it really was stupid to make this call? Maybe he's messing up everything by doing this... however, those thoughts disappear as soon as the fragile voice speaks again. 

"J-Jimin?" she asks and the said male feels his eyes widen. She knows his name! She knows who he is... that's... that's crazy. He feels his stomach take a turn with curiosity and maybe slight happiness. He doesn't really have family aside from his parents and Kim Joon Tae, so this is totally shocking for him.

"Y-yes, that's me," he replies and soon hears a gasp.

"Oh Jimin! I finally hear your voice," Ah-seung says happily through the phone and Jimin feels his hears flutter. She's happy to hear from him? That's kind of a surprise, to be honest, but he isn't complaining. Now he's just even more curious about why he hasn't heard from them before.

"Y-You know me?" he questions.

"Of course I do! How could I forget my own grandchild?" she says and chuckles slightly. Jimin's cheeks blush and he can't help but join her small laughter. Yeah, it would be really weird to forget your family. 

"Yeah, I'm glad you remember me," he speaks his thoughts and hears a gentle sign in the other end. 

"Jimin why... why did you contact me? How did you get this number?" she questions, her voice small but still beaming with happiness. 

"I... I spoke with my dad but he didn't say much about you, so I tried looking for you myself... I wanted to know more about my... mother?" he replies and fiddles a little with his shirt. He doesn't know if this is a sensitive topic for his grandparents, but he's eager to know everything. 

This won't only give him knowledge about his mother, but also himself. That's something he really needs right now after talking with Kim Joon Tae. His family is honestly a mess, but now he might get a few things cleared out.

"Oh, soTaehyung doesn't know of this?" she asks, kind of looking for confirmation that it is indeed Taehyung Jimin is referring to when saying father.

"Yes?" Jimin says. He thought it would be obvious that Taehyung is his father, also since ah-seung clearly remembers his name. They must be familiars somehow.

"I haven't seen that boy in a long time. I thought you got taken from him," she says, "it's kind of a surprise that you're still with him."

Jimin frowns deeply at that. He knows he was almost taken away from his father back in the day, but that didn't have anything to do with his mother's side of the family. That was solely because of Kim Joon Tae and his selfish behaviors. At least he got back to Taehyung, so why is this lady talking about him as if his name is like venom on her lips?

"Well, there was some trouble at one point, but I'm glad I got back to my fathers," Jimin states.

"Fathers? As in more than one?" the elder lady asks in surprise.

"Yes? My other father is called Jungkook," Jimin informs. He hears Ah-seung hum on the other line.

"I'm glad to hear that Jimin... I just didn't think Taehyung would be able to keep you... but he did keep you from us, so I guess he knows his ways," she says. Keep him from them? The words don't sit well in the blond's head and he feels his eyebrows slowly frown as he gets more and more confused as this conversation goes on. 

"Taken from you? What do you mean?"

"Oh honey, I fought for months to get custody over you back then," she says and Jimin's eyes widen in surprise. She tried to get custody of him? Why? When? Where? The questions are getting in line in the back of his head, eager to get out.

"So... you tried to get the custody of me when my mother die-... left?" Jimin stops himself and quickly changes his words. He's still not certain of a lot of things, so he doesn't want to drop the words 'died' right off the bat. 

The line is silent for a little while, seems like Ah-seung is talking with someone on the other side of the phone, but somehow she gets away from the voice before she talks again. "Your mother? Oh yes, she left many years ago. However, I didn't believe a kid like Taehyung could take care of a child at such a young age... but he was persistent... I'm sorry Jimin if you have been through a lot because I couldn't win you over."

"No... it's fine... I'm happy with my life but- did my mother really leave?" he questions.

"Yes. She needed to get away from here, from Taehyung. So she left for America."