twenty-eight ~ cage of light

Harry's POV:

Harry's POV:

     Cassidy was dead. 

     Her body slumped into my arms as the flash of green light hit her. My body entirely froze before an onslaught of pain jolted through my heart- far worse than the suffering my scar caused moments before.

     "Cassidy?" I called her name, my voice hoarse from the cries threatening to escape my throat. "Cassidy, wake up."

     I lifted her head with my hand. Her eyes were closed and I was sure she was just sleeping but she was not breathing. 

     I could imagine her smiling and her eyes looking into mine with such adoration. I brushed the hair out of her face. 

    Reaching for her arm, I took her hand in mine and began soothing her skin. 

    She just needed to wake up. Cassidy will wake up. 

    I  brought my forehead to hers and felt myself break. My lungs fell into disarray and my arms tensed as they became aware of what lay within them. 

     She was never supposed to make it here with me. 

    My tears fell onto her cheeks. I brought her close to me, wanting her to return the hug. To just open her eyes and tell a joke about how overdramatic I was being. About how cheesy I was. 

    But I would never see that again. I would never get to see the mischievous glint in her eyes when I knew she would retort some witty reply. I would never get to feel her reach for my hair and run her hands through them, a weak attempt to fix it.

    And I would never place my head onto her lap to look up and only see her. Because all I wanted was her.

    "Cass," I whispered in a shallow breath, "Please. Don't go. Don't leave. I...I can't lose you."

    Her body remained still in my embrace making more tears fall into her hair and I kissed her head, as I had done so many times before. 

    "Cass, I love you," I mumbled. Willing her to hear. 

    To know even though she was gone.

   "I love you," I repeated. "I love you. I love you. I love you."

    The agony returned from my scar. 

    My arms instinctively went to each for my scar but were ultimately blocked by Cassidy's body. 

    As my head felt as if it were to split in half, I gently laid her body down with shaky arms. My entire body trembled in pain and the image of her pale face only sent me whirling into a whole other kind of suffering. 

    Before I could even reach for her again, to shake her awake, I was pulled to my feet. 

    Peter had the blanket laid at his feet. I wondered how he had time to go grab it from where Cassidy had launched it but I was too exhausted from the pain to want an answer.