CHAPTER 44

Kim’s cell door opened.

An officer stood at the metallic entrance, padlock in his hands and glowered at Kim. “Get up!” He roared. “This is still Nigeria” He said and he eyed Kim.

“I’m not surprised” He added. “The rich always escape the claws of the law” He hissed.

******
“Mummy!” Angel screamed and jumped into Kim’s hands.

“Angel” Kim cried, hugging Angel tightly to her chest. “Mama missed you” Kim said, kissing Angel’s temples.

“I missed you too” Angel said.

Kim continued holding Angel close to her heart. She was certain that she couldn’t survive anymore form of separation from her little angel. She turned and faced Jean. “Thank you, Jean” She said.

Jean nodded, “However, it’s not my handiwork” Jean replied.

Nathan, one of the recipients of tuition funds from Kim’s foundation was in court during her trial and so came upon Judge Nnamdi and another male judge during the recess break.

He recorded their conversation as Judge Nnamdi roared with laughter and discussed how he need not waste his time waiting for sound evidence or prolonging Kim’s case since he knew Kim was as guilty as sin of killing her husband. ‘Delilah’, he called Kim, another woman responsible for her husband’s death.

Also, Prophetess Allison and Meryl admitted that they exaggerated their testimonies. Tessy, Kim’s old dog was exhumed and examined, and was found to have died from natural causes. Taking the meat pepper soup before death was just coincidence at work.

Mr Joshua, the neighbour Kim accused of raping her was killed by his wife after she discovered he had been sexually abusing their young daughter. Hence, the death sentence on her life was repealed until Richard’s murder case was reinvestigated.    

“The police won’t rest” Arnold said.

“They will gather their forces and try to strike again. Be careful” Jean said.

Kim nodded.

“I’ve called everyone we know and shared the news of your release with them” Jean said.

“Thank you” Kim replied as they walked to the cars that Jean and Arnold drove to the prison yard.  

“You can take my car” Arnold said and handed his keys to Kim “I’ll ride with Jean” He said.

Kim nodded gratefully and put Angel’s feet on the ground. She embraced Arnold and Jean “thanks” Kim said and entered Arnold’s car.

If only we could see what lies in the future, then a prison might just be a safer place for us all.

******
Angel was singing and laughing aloud in the car. Kim winked at her and turned on the radio. It felt like ages since she was this happy. They were heading home and would spend all their time together.

“Kim Harrison, former CEO of Jacobs and Sons Architecture and alleged killer of her husband-” Kim changed the station “has been released from…”
Kim turned off the radio. All the stations were reporting her release from prison.

A sudden silence filled the car. Angel had stopped making noise. And with the silence, Kim felt her heart shrink with sadness.

She could not bear the shame of forever being regarded as a possible murderer. What did Angel think? Her friends in school. Were they making life unpleasant for her?

“You didn’t kill dad. I know that” Angel said.

Kim waited for some seconds and then nodded.

“I don’t want you to go back there” Angel said, talking about prison.

“I won’t” Kim replied, wiping the tears in her eyes.

She has to see Connor soon. And know what he found out if she didn’t want to spend the rest of her life being called a killer or worse, have another death sentence pronounced over her life again after Richard’s case was reviewed.