CHAPTER 22

The following happened between 20:00 and 21:00

“You don’t have a search warrant” Connor said.

Jasmine was standing at the door of Kim’s house with Kim and Connor but, Connor was against her entering the mansion.

“Inspector Connor” Jasmine said, “If Mrs. Harrison has not committed a crime. I will find nothing. All I’m asking for is to look around the house” Jasmine said.

Kim folded her arms “What are you looking for?”

Jasmine shrugged “Nothing in particular”.

“We never can tell, I might just find something to prove your innocence” Jasmine said.

“And why should I believe you?” Kim replied.

Jasmine paused and answered sorrowfully “Because we both want the same thing. Richard’s killer must pay the price for…”

Connor said to Kim, “Don’t believe her. You don’t know her like I do” he faced Jasmine “still go and get a search…”

Kim interrupted, “let her come in, Connor. I’ve nothing to hide”.

Connor remained at the door.

“This could prove my innocence and help to catch Richard’s murderer” Kim said.

He waited for a moment, then stepped aside for Jasmine to walk into the mansion.

Jasmine looked around, “I can’t believe it. I’m entering here for the second time today. Nice place” Jasmine said.

“Thanks” Kim said. “So, where do you want to check? Richard’s bedroom?” Kim asked.

“Yes” Jasmine replied and followed Kim who led her upstairs. Suddenly, on the way she faced Kim, “why don’t we check your room instead?”

“My room?” Kim responded.

“Why?” Connor asked.

“I’m just being thorough” Jasmine winked and patted his chest.

Kim looked away.

“Come along” Kim said.

A while later, she opened the door to her bedroom “come in”.

Jasmine entered the room as she put on a fake smile. She walked around, stared at the massive bed. Ten persons could sleep in it and there would still be space.

The couch – it decorated the room as though the place was supposed to serve as a living room and bedroom. The chandelier. The glass vase of flowers.

She removed her eyes from them. They weren’t the things she needed to notice right now. Then she saw the side table, lying on it was the butterfly necklace and earrings Mr Allen described. On the table was also a diamond ring and another plastic one. She lifted the plastic one. Angel and Mum forever. Mr Allen had indeed noticed everything on Kim Harrison right down to the last detail.

She placed the ring back on the table. Beside the table was the black sandals with fuck-me-ropes, in Mr Allen’s words. The necklace, earring, sandal, diamond and plastic rings were here however, something else was missing.

She walked to the wardrobe, ignoring Kim and Connor’s looks, flipped through the dresses, there was no shiny pretty yellow flowered dress. If Kim wore the cloth yesterday evening, surely it would be in…  Her eyes went to the laundry bag.

She walked towards it, pretending to look around. Then, she kicked it.

“I’m so sorry” Jasmine said.

“Don’t worry” Kim replied.

Jasmine lifted the laundry bag. “You don’t keep dirty clothes?” Jasmine asked. The laundry bag was empty.

“Not really” Kim answered.

“What of the clothes you wore yesterday?” Jasmine asked.

Kim shrugged” It should be with the laundry guy” Kim said.

“And who takes them to the laundry guy?” Jasmine asked.

“Meryl” Kim replied.

****

“Your hands above your head!” The police officer shouted.

And the lights in the drug store suddenly came on.

“Your hands above your head else I’ll shoot”

“My hands are above my head!” Tony screamed in fright.

“I was not doing anything” Tony cried.

The police officer stepped forward with a handcuff in his hand while the other officer beside him held a gun.

“Please, let me go. I’ll give you anything you want” Tony said.

The officers laughed. “And bribery to your list of crimes besides the breaking and entering we just caught you for. And you will be spending at least five years in prison”.

They pushed Tony towards the police car. “Please, let me go. I’ll give you anything. Anything you want!” Tony wailed.

One of the officers looked at him from head to toe.

“What do you have, mister that we don’t have?” The officer asked sarcastically.

Tony paused, “I’m Kim Jacobs’ ex-husband”.

****
PLEASE, IF YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS STORY, KINDLY SUPPORT ME BY LEAVING A COMMENT.

****

The Last Time We Say Goodbye, currently available on my profile page.