CHAPTER 38

Arnold was shaking as he sat in the dark corner of the restaurant and waited. He was waiting for the man who gave him orders. Unconsciously, he starting tapping his fingers on the table. Thum. Thum. Thum. There was fire on the mountain. Thum. Thum. Thum.

“Stop that!” Ethan bellowed and sat down.

Arnold stopped drumming with his fingers, however, his heart took on the task. “I’m afraid” Arnold said.

Ethan eyed him. “Of what?”

“That Inspector. He has been nosing around”.

“And?”

Arnold looked up.

“What if he finds out?” Arnold said. Thum. Thum. Thum. His fingers started again. “Should I get rid of…?”

“I thought you said you weren’t the one that killed Richard” Ethan said.

Arnold nodded. Thum. Thum. Thum.
“Or are you planning to tell on me?” Ethan asked.

“I would never do that” Arnold replied.

They have known each other now for more than thirty years.

“That’s better” Ethan said and added, “Enjoy the money I gave you and shut your fat mouth”.

Their eyes remained on each other. They both knew that either of them was capable of plunging the knife into Richard. And also, of disposing whomever tries to expose them, be it their niece or their wife’s best friend.

******
“Stop squeezing her arm!” Silvia yelled and pulled Nicole from Kim’s grips.

“I was not…”

“Shut up” Silvia said and eyed Kim. “You can leave now. I’ll take care of my daughter” Silvia said.

Kim stoop up, gathered Nicole’s books and arranged them into her school bag.

“Shut the door!” Silvia shouted as Kim stepped out of her hose.

How much do you like the idea of escaping from here? And this country with Angel?

Should I go ahead and escape? Kim thought as she walked back to her cell. Staying in this prison, meant that she was taking a step closer to her death every day. However, if she escaped she and her Angel could have new lives. If I’m not caught and killed on sight.

She had friends abroad. She could borrow money. Work hard and pay them back later after she and Angel had settled. Wasn’t it terrific? When one door closed, life opens another one.

If I’m not caught and killed on sight. Her mind reiterated.

******
“Are you ready?” Fr. Mark asked quietly.

Kim nodded, her heart juddering.

“That’s good” Fr. Mark said. “Here’s your escape plan” he said.

******
“You’ve been ignoring me” Jasmine said.

Connor continued writing in the file on his desk.

“Why the cold shoulder?” she asked.

“Did I do something?” she said.

Connor looked up, dropped his pen “Are you with my ATM card?” He asked sarcastically. “Or perhaps you are with my lungs” He said. “So, if I don’t talk to you, Jasmine, it means that you’ve nothing that belongs to me” He fired.

“Is this about Kim?” She said. “An Inspector like you should be grateful that a murderer like her despite her wealth and influence was sent to where she belongs” Jasmine said.

Connor faced his work and went ahead with what he was doing as though she was now a silly radio station that he was tired of listening to.

“You know what?” Jasmine shouted and added “I hope her death is slow, fatal and terribly agonising!”