CHAPTER 27

“Kim, you’ve to stop them from operating” Jean said.

Kim shook her head. She couldn’t do that. Jean was asking her to halt her charity organisations from working because they were taking funds out of the little money she had left and uncle Ethan was still refusing to sign the document that will let her take money from the family reserve fund.

Recently, most of her money went into paying Jean and her bail so that she wouldn’t have spent the previous weeks to this court case in a cell.

“I can’t do that” Kim said. “If I do, all those children we care for, will starve. September is coming. School fees have to be paid. If I stop the funds, those kids’ education will stop. Hundreds of children will be affected. Don’t you understand, Jean?” Kim said.

Jean shook her head. “I don’t support this idea” Jean said and stormed out of Kim’s house. Her case was on hold and her trial will continue the following day.

The only way for her to keep caring for those kids is for her company to keep making profits like it used to do. Hence, she had to find the person who not only stole Richard’s paintings and probably murdered him but also, the person who was stealing architectural designs from the company.

****

“You sent for me” Connor said as he passed Kim at the door and walked into her living room.

“Please, sit down” Kim said.

She folded her legs on her seat and said, “thanks for coming”.

He shrugged.

“Being optimistic has brought me so far” Kim said “However, this time I feel like I know what the judgement might be”. She held his hand and said, “I may or may not have killed Richard but, I need to be sure” She said and added, “I know you may not believe me. But, on the day of my car accident, there were paintings in the boot. Connor, I swear, before Richard died, someone was stealing his paintings” She said.

“I know” Connor said. “Let me you the truth, I met with Richard on the day he died”.

“He met me and told me about the painting. Hours later, he phoned and said that he was joking. I believed him. That was my mistake” He said.

“Richard was investigating the theft. I saw the report. And suddenly, it disappeared. It explained that whomever was stealing from Richard was not an employee or customer but a family or close friend who walked in and out of the gallery without security checking them” Kim said.

“Also, he found the locations of the real paintings” She added.

Connor kept quiet.

“Give me the names of those that he suspected. And the locations” He said.

Kim penned it down.

“Now, I’m looking at it again. I think that instead of telling the police after he was certain of who the thief was, Richard went and confronted this thief that killed him” Connor said and stood up, ready to leave.

“More and more, as I think about the elevator and car accidents, I’m convinced that they were not mere accidents. Someone planned it. The painting thief. He couldn’t kill me so, he planned it that I’ll be framed for Richard’s death” Kim said and looked at him, “Connor, you’ve to watch your back too”.

*****
“What was he doing here?” Fr. Mark asked.

Kim shrugged.

“I don’t trust him” Fr mark said.

Should I trust you? Your name is also on Richard’s list. Kim thought. And shook her head. Fr. Mark was a good man who cared for her. The stress of the last few weeks was starting to turn her into an ungrateful person.

“He means well” Kim said.

Fr. Mark took her hand, “If you say so, just be cautious about what you say around him. Him and that female inspector only want your ruin” He said, tears glistening in his eyes.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine. I only wanted him to help investigate something. Nothing more” She said.

He nodded and rubbed her hand. “I’m so scared, dear. Afraid that I’ll lose you” He said and kissed the back of her hand.

“I love you, Kim. So much”.

Kim’s brains jumped in shock.

As if realizing what he had said, “but God loves you more” he stammered.

****
PLEASE, don't forget to VOTE! Love you❤